4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

got over paid

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 PM
myk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: got over paid

Yeah. And when they finally fire you for taking the money, and you know they will, good luck trying to explain why you lost your last job to your next employer. It's not your money, so give it back. Keeping it is as good as stealing it if isn't yours to begin with. The lack of morals and integrity in people these days is really frightening...
Old 07-07-2006, 09:03 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

there is nothing illegal about it at all. It would be illegal to fire you for their oversite. Even if you cash the check knowing that they over payed you. The only problem is they can make you give the money back. I like what the last guy said, save it and draw interest or invest it in something safe make a little cash. If they didnt notice after a few months I would go ahead and do whatever with it.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 PM
TX02GT
2nd Gear Member

It will eventually come back and bite you. Just give it back and save for any further trust issues with the MAN.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:06 PM
eternal981
2nd Gear Member

if you care about your job, give it back.

if you dont, keep it, and be prepared to get fired or have to quit.

word of advice: if its a small business (which should notice a $2000 difference anyways), keep in mind that $2000 means more to them than it would to a billion dollar corporation. i hate corporations, so i'd keep it from them out of spite. but otherwise.....

and if you work for an oil company, let us all know where to apply so we can start getting our money back!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:26 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

small businesses become small corps. so why not hate small corps? there isn't anything wrong with corps. they are just small businesses that did it right. period.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

i work at walgreens and i wanna quit soon so if that happend to me i would keep it and if they found out i would give 2 week notice cuz walgreens doesnt fire people. they r to cheap to pay unemployment. but if u like ur job and if its a small business they will find out give it back..since u offered it back it might make everything better in the long run..promotion maybe ? cuz they can trrust you.who knows.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: myk

Yeah. And when they finally fire you for taking the money, and you know they will, good luck trying to explain why you lost your last job to your next employer. It's not your money, so give it back. Keeping it is as good as stealing it if isn't yours to begin with. The lack of morals and integrity in people these days is really frightening...
You're right. If it were me I wouldn't have even posted this topic. I would have notified payroll and had the problem fixed right away. 2VNA obviously isnt ready to just give it back though (hence the posting), so I offered my advice. Which was hold on to it and make interest on it while being prepared to pay it back when they come looking for it. A win win situation for both.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:02 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

If you've known about it for 2 months now, that's like stealing from the company, even though it's an oversite in the accounting department or third party accountant, whoever is doing it. I'd fess up and tell them about the error and RETURN all the extra money to them. If I was a company and realized there was an error as such, I'd be greatly appreciative that you come forward and let me know that accounting was way off. Someone is not doing their job right, don't let it come back to haunt you. Companies get audited EVERY year, and when they do, the auditors 99% of the time, find the ERRORS, over payments, etc... They WILL find it and when they start their investigation as to where the money went, they'll look at everything, including payroll.

You might also think of this as maybe they're testing you for honesty? Ever think of that? The months just roll by, and you're keeping their money that's not yours, next thing you know, you're being called into the office,

Hello mr 2vna, how are things going, we've noticed lately you've been doing a great job and we appreciate all you've done for us. Have you had any problems lately? Are you getting along alright with everything? Good, good to hear. It's come to my attention, that we've been having an accounting problem with our current accountant. They haven't been posting the right numbers lately. It's odd that some much money has seem to have vanished. We've been wondering if maybe it was just a paper error and there was actualy no problem, but our auditor informed us of an error in payroll. Have you heard of anyone with an overpayment on their check? It'd be of great help if we could find out where the money is going.

Ok, maybe that's enough brain trauma for you now lol. You'll have that little voice in your head saying dude, the stang2000 guy has totally freaked you out and now you're thinking about it everytime you enter work. They're watching you and you don't even know it.

lol ok I'm done, Need to grab a snack. Oh yeah, one more thing, GIVE IT BACK and be a hero.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 PM
eternal981
2nd Gear Member

i should've said i hate BIG corporations. and not because they're corporations, but because of the way so many of them lose touch with BUSINESS, and worry more about MONEY. There's nothing like firing employees to show a bigger profit.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:01 AM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

a similar situation happened to me whilst in the british army. i was getting paid extra when i was in bosnia, i got injured a had to come home but my unit stayed ther for another 3 months.
i used to wait till all my bills came out at the start of the month and then spend spend till the account was empty! (young and stupid)!!!

but anyway..... they kept paying me and i kept spending! they realised at the end of novemember so december came around and guess who didnt get paid!!!!

lesson learnt....... give it back....now!!!!

Quick Reply: got over paid