4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Two Questions:Fuel Filter and Differencial Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:47 PM
dobry
2nd Gear Member

Default Two Questions:Fuel Filter and Differencial Gasket

I got two questions before I start working on my car.

1. I need to change the fuel filter and it says to relieve the pressure before using the tool(I got it at the autostore for $5) to remove the filter. how do I relieve the pressure from the fuel system? also if I remove the filter is the gas from the fuel lines going to leak out like crazy? any tips? methods?

2.I have to make the new gasket under the differncial cover and I was curious whether there is enough clearance between the cover and the anti-roll bar or do I have to remove the bar before I can get to the differencial cover. also whats the best way to drain the gear oil? it does not have any plug like the oil pan has.

thanks in advance
Old 07-08-2006, 04:15 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Two Questions:Fuel Filter and Differencial Gasket

on passenger side fuel rail theres a black cap. unscrew it and stick a screwdriver down the hole and gas pressure is relieved. you wanna put the screwdriver tip in like a paper towel and push it down the hole so it soaks up the gas. When you remove the fuel lines its going to leak because the fuel filter has a lot of fuel in it. what i did was unhook one fuel line then took new fuel filter and hooked it up to the fuel line that was free then took off the other fuel line.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:58 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Okay, for the Diff Gasket. Since I've only done it on a lift, I don't recall if the Sway bar actually moves, but there's enough room to get the bolts out, and maneuver it around the Ring gear, and sway bar.

Just crack the RTV seal w/ a screwdriver, or a scraper. Scraper is best, since you'll have to clean off the old RTV. Next, re-apply RTV on a CLEAN, DRY surface and maneuver it carefully back into place, using a couple of the bolts to hold it still until you can get the other bolts in. It only goes in one way, so if it doesn't seem like it's fitting right, it probably isn't...

The fluid just comes out. Don't forget, if you're adding new fluid, add new Friction Modifier, and good Gear oil... Replace the plug, and enjoy..

JT
Old 07-08-2006, 08:52 PM
dobry
2nd Gear Member

I got Synthetic Royal Purple gear oil , do I still have to add Friction Modifier? What is it for ?
ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

Okay, for the Diff Gasket. Since I've only done it on a lift, I don't recall if the Sway bar actually moves, but there's enough room to get the bolts out, and maneuver it around the Ring gear, and sway bar.

Just crack the RTV seal w/ a screwdriver, or a scraper. Scraper is best, since you'll have to clean off the old RTV. Next, re-apply RTV on a CLEAN, DRY surface and maneuver it carefully back into place, using a couple of the bolts to hold it still until you can get the other bolts in. It only goes in one way, so if it doesn't seem like it's fitting right, it probably isn't...

The fluid just comes out. Don't forget, if you're adding new fluid, add new Friction Modifier, and good Gear oil... Replace the plug, and enjoy..

JT
Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Friction Modifier "loosens" up the Limited Slip so it doesn't bind on turns or when backing up. Yes, you do need to add it...

I mean, give it a try without it and tell me what you think....

JT
Old 07-09-2006, 12:06 AM
dobry
2nd Gear Member

I should be fine as I found out Royal Purple already contains it. They say no additives are necessary. Thanks for bringing it to my attention tough.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You won't need to add the modifiers to any of the high end synthetic oils...Amsoil, Red Line (they still around?), Royal Purple, etc. Mobil 1 is NOT in this category...