4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What constitutes a rebuild/tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default What constitutes a rebuild/tune up?

Hey gang, just a general question about terminology that people are using, and if it applies to me! I see a lot of people with mustangs with quality use, aka lots of miles, saying they rebuilt, or tuned u their engines, whether it be for the heck of it or in preparation of more horses under the hood. I have about 50k on my GT and am planning on a KB in the next 6 months. Should i "rebuild" or "tune up" my engine? what exactly does this consist of? thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:28 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What constitutes a rebuild/tune up?

When you rebuild you actually remove the motor from the car dismantle it and replace internals (as neccessary). A tune up (depending on the car), will usually consist of spark plugs, ignition wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, basically just regualr scheduled maintenance.
Check your owners manual for the regualer scheduled maintenances, theyre usually at 30K mile increments.
-P.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:30 PM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

If you are planning on putting in a KB very soon, you should rebuild your engine before you put it in. Rebuilding it for you would be to replace the rotating assembly with forged parts, and while you're in there you might as well replace the cams, and port and polish the heads. I got quoted $3000 on all of that which included parts and labor. Just make sure you get the pistons with the dish in them to lower the compression. After putting in the KB, you should immediately get it dyno tuned.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Forged internals meaning crank, rods, pistons and such? by doing that am i preventing premature wear? I was told that i could just drop a KB right in. When they rebuild an engine, is it relatively similar to getting a new engine? If so, couldn't i take $3k and add that to the $5k for the KB and get a fresh new Motor?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:51 PM
jelam
2nd Gear Member

I'd go with the forged internels and the supercharger over a new enginge.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:43 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

I'm not saying i would buy a new 2v, but something else like a built motor or a cobra engine or something...
Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joeybutts

Forged internals meaning crank, rods, pistons and such? by doing that am i preventing premature wear? I was told that i could just drop a KB right in. When they rebuild an engine, is it relatively similar to getting a new engine? If so, couldn't i take $3k and add that to the $5k for the KB and get a fresh new Motor?
yea you can drop the kb on top of a stock motor. you just have to keep the boost down. after you get it on get a good tune and you will be fine for a while. if you up the boost thats when you need forger internals