4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2003 MUSTANG GT WIND NOISE PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 08:59 AM
dpsantoli

Default 2003 MUSTANG GT WIND NOISE PROBLEM

I PURCHASED MY GT IN NOVEMBER OF 03 AND SINCE THEN I'VE HAD A DRIVERS DOOR A-PILLAR WIND NOISE PROBLEM(WHICH DOES HAVE AN ACTIVE TSB). AFTER 4 TRIPS TO MCCARVILLE FORD LOCATED IN LONG ISLAND NY AND A VISIT FROM THE FORD ENGINEER THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS. THEY INSTALLED A FOAM BLOCK AND REPLACED THE WEATHERSTRIP BUT THE WIND NOISE IS STILL THERE. HAS ANYBODY HAD THIS PROBLEM OR SIMILIAR ONES. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS
Old 05-14-2004, 10:11 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2003 MUSTANG GT WIND NOISE PROBLEM

First off there is no need to yell.

Second, wind noise on frameless windows is common. The wind noise comes from the where the mirror meets the glass. Typically I open my window a bit when it starts and then close it, as long as I don't slow down it is not to bad. I don't even really hear it anymore.

Mitsu has a similar problem with the Eclipse spider, there fix is uses black silcone smeared everywhere. I think I can live with the wind noise. This is not a lux vehicale it's an american sports car.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:52 AM
dpsantoli

IN REGARDS TO YOUR REPLY. THE ENGINEER WITH THE USE OF A SOUND METER DID CONCLUDE THERE IS A PROBLEM. FURTHERMORE THE LOANER MUSTANG I HAD FOR A WEEK HAD NO WIND NOISE OR WHISTLE COMING THROUGH. MY PASSENGER DOOR ALSO HAS NO WINDNOISE COMING THROUGH. I CAN ACTUALLY SEE WHERE THE PROBLEM IS FROM THE OUTSIDE. A 3 INCH PIECE OF DUCK TAPE STOPS THE NOISE. I DROVE OTHER MUSTANGS WITHOUT THIS NOISE AS WELL. YOU ALMOST SOUND LIKE A FORD EMPLOYEE WITH YOUR RESPONSE.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:54 AM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

QUIT YELLING!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:21 AM
dpsantoli

i guess i'm dealing with young kids with there mustangs and just want to go real faaaassssstttt.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Wow, we are young kids with mustangs and only interested in going FAST because we want you to STOP POSTING IN CAPS LOCK? Hah...

If you can see where the problem is, why not try putting on a new pillar, even if it consists of paying $$ and having it painted. Or, try packing something underneath it like the dealership is trying.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:59 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Yeah I'm a Ford tech, NOT! Try an enginner for one of the largest injection molding companies in the world that has a passion for cars.

Welcome to the board, loser[:@].

We asked nicely to stop yelling, we gave you reasons on why you have wind noise and how to fix it and your responses are childish, kinda like a highschooler.

You like being called that?

Stop yelling, be nicer and maybe you will get the answers and help you are looking for.

Maybe if you said it starts at 3omph or at 70, or it leaks when you wash it with a garden hose, gave information that can be usefull. I have never seen a TSB for the wind noise issue. Do you drive a hardtop or a vert, is it warm where you live or cold, did you buy it used or new, was it old stock or new, was it ever in an accident, maybe it was made on a friday. Supply us with info and be a little nicer.

You don't know anyone here, we all know each other, your new. Make friends not enemies, and you are well on your may to making the later.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:22 PM
96SilverLT1
3rd Gear Member

well.. yelling is not nice but maybe someone else will get some good info from this..

Try taking the car to a shop that has a smoke machine. We have one at the shop I work at and it work VERY well at finding air leaks and water leaks. They can move it under the weather strip and mark spots that the smoke comes out. once you find them IE where it meets the glass you can put something like double sided tape under the stripping to biuld it out a litle for a better seal. another cheeper way of cheking it is take a dollor bill and shut it in the window. slowly move it from side to side and see if it ever feels loose..
Old 05-14-2004, 05:30 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Could have said the part about the 3" piece of DUCT tape fixing the problem in the first place...kind of obvious problem NOW...and nobody had to yell

P.S. What the hell is "duck" tape anyway? Wait - I don't want to know!
Old 05-14-2004, 06:20 PM
cobrakid
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dpsantoli

I PURCHASED MY GT IN NOVEMBER OF 03 AND SINCE THEN I'VE HAD A DRIVERS DOOR A-PILLAR WIND NOISE PROBLEM(WHICH DOES HAVE AN ACTIVE TSB). AFTER 4 TRIPS TO MCCARVILLE FORD LOCATED IN LONG ISLAND NY AND A VISIT FROM THE FORD ENGINEER THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS. THEY INSTALLED A FOAM BLOCK AND REPLACED THE WEATHERSTRIP BUT THE WIND NOISE IS STILL THERE. HAS ANYBODY HAD THIS PROBLEM OR SIMILIAR ONES. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS
This could be a glass window adjustment. The glass may be misaligned a bit. One would have to disasseble the interior door to see how it slides and whether it can be adjusted.. Just a thought.
<offtopic mode> As a NEWBIE here. Those that frequent these forums could simply state. Please UNLOCK your caps.. Instead of saying "QUIT YELLING". A newbie may not understand that term. Being snippy insn't the answer. <offtopic mode off>

Quick Reply: 2003 MUSTANG GT WIND NOISE PROBLEM