4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

car died, need help UPDATE - Doh!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:46 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default car died, need help UPDATE - Doh!

02 gt, driving home from work, doin maybe 55, car just dies, pull off side of road, try to fire it, it fires for a second and dies, try to restart, nothing. so i wait for tow truck, wait 15 mins or so, car fires for a second then dies, so i figured fuel filter. changed it and same thing, car fires for a second then dies, then wont fire again. i checked the fuel cutoff in hte truck, i pushed down on it and it wont move so i assume it hasnt popped. It says i have about an 1/8 tank, i have ran it this low before without issue. i have a svt in tank pump (installed new bout 2 months ago), 42inj, yadda. so it is sitting in front of my house, just sitting there sucking. hope someon can come up with ideas before i hve it towed to ford, gulp. help.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:36 AM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: car died, need help

noone has any ideas? i guess it is late.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:37 AM
LazrRd00GT
2nd Gear Member

My car had a similar problem but it only happend when the car was at a dead stop... Try checking the IAC valve or the MAF sensor. Clean the MAF sensor with electronics cleaner and in my opinion id replace the IAC valve. You can get one at any autoparts store for about 35 dollars... Hope it helps...
Old 07-12-2006, 07:33 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Don't trust the fuel gauge, try adding a few gallons and check that the gas cap is on tight, just a thought, good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Never a good idea to trust the fuel gauge.

With a supercharged car like yours, it's a horrible idea to run around in your car with such little fuel in the tank, get that gas sloshing around in the wrong direction and that boosted beast will reduce it's rotating weight by about 2 rods faster than you can say....DAMMIT!

Add some gas to your car. If that doesn't solve it, start with the IAC and TPS. Then you can start worrying about your pump possibly failing.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 AM
footpedal
1st Gear Member

Im thinking fuel pump,.. check the fuel pressure
Old 07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

iac, MAF, fuel pressure regulator... if you say you havea new pump it SHOULD be good, but new doesn't ever mean good!

that's why on all ford bulletins, they say "install known good part" not "install new part"
Old 07-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Coley2002GT
2nd Gear Member

have somebody wack the bottom of the tank while you're turning it over. Sometimes works to jar the fuel pump if it isn't working. Done it on a few trucks.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

I'd bet you're outta gas
Old 07-12-2006, 12:50 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

thanks for the suggestions. Should i be able to hear the fuel pump if i turn the key to the "on" position and crawl under the car? I read an old post of someone saying they could hear it whirr, but they had like a 98. I turned the key on this morning, it wouldnt even try to fire and i couldnt hear anything from the tank. If i was outta gas, wouldnt it sputter and die? This just plain died. The maf is new (lightning maf) and i know the car will run without it. My idiot mechanic (at the time) couldnt figger why he was having a hard time tuning it, turned out that the maf was unplugged. Where and which one is the fuel pump fuse? How do i determine if the iac and others are bad? I really dont want to just start buying parts til something fixes it.

Quick Reply: car died, need help UPDATE - Doh!