4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need more speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:49 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need more speed

ORIGINAL: the.main.man
ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRAI don't recall what the stock MAM size is, but return it to stock and I bet your sluggishness will go away.You aren't the original owner are you? I bet that car was supercharged and de-modded before you got it...
What leads you to that conclusion?
The big TB/plenum and MAF are what make Dan think it was once a S/C motor.
I just ordered an exhaust and don't want it loud either. I got a Catted X-pipe By PYPES and also A PYPES catback but with a quieter PYPES Race Pro mufler instead of the more popular Violator muffler. If it's still too loud I will add silencer tips.
I am also going with a set of 4.10's with a Predator tuner from www.rmpoutlet.com
Sure if you have the bucks a S/C is the way to go. I say work the exhaust but research what will open it up and still keep if fairly quiet. It's a trade off but a fairly stock motor does not need a loud exhaust to make decent gains. Mark
Old 07-14-2006, 11:07 AM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LvGordo

do the barry bonds thing. that will put the little rice huffers in their place.
???? Barry Bonds I know......but what is the "thing"
Juice aka Nitrous.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 AM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

I need more speed. I don't think HP is an issue at the moment. Everything is stock except for what's in the sig below.....It's great off the line but there is something missing in that first to second shift I think. Maybe second to third? maybe i should go from 1st to 3rd???? Maybe exhaust? I don't want to loose the low end TQ though...It's got an 85mm MAF...maybe a tune would do it? Diablo? I'm not sure gears is what I'm looking for either...Someone told me to get an aluminum driveshaft......Help []

BTW - what is this hissing, air-discharge sound in gearshifts I'm hearing from some little rice burners?
You do need gears. That will give you a whole lot more of your power at the low end where you need it. If you have stock headers then geting an h or x pipe wont do to too much untill you get aftermarket headers. I have an aluminum driveshaft and what it does is reduces the rotating mass in your driveline which ends up putting more hp to your wheels. You probably should get that, 4.10 gears, and drag radials or suspesion work because with that your wheels will be spinnin through 2nd!
Old 07-14-2006, 12:25 PM
the.main.man
1st Gear Member

Well I put the TB, Plenum and CAI on myself so it wasn't previously modded....I uneasy about the gears 1) because I don't have anybody reputable and that I can trust to install them right and 2) I see there are trade-offs with different ratios.....the exhaust -> maybe just cat backs to start? How are the Pypes?
Old 07-14-2006, 01:43 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Okay, first I agree that gears will get you what you want, quickly. Second, your power really comes in between 4000-5800. Unless you have DRs, you can't launch from much more than 1500, but run her out to 5700 before shifting, that shoulb keep you in your band.

I can honestly say that replacing my mid pipe and cat back was a real eye-opener. I didn't expect to feel any difference, but I was wrong. Check ebay or completeexhaust.com for stuff. Complete exhaust offer discounts for forum members, too.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:50 PM
the.main.man
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

Okay, first I agree that gears will get you what you want, quickly. Second, your power really comes in between 4000-5800. Unless you have DRs, you can't launch from much more than 1500, but run her out to 5700 before shifting, that shoulb keep you in your band.

I can honestly say that replacing my mid pipe and cat back was a real eye-opener. I didn't expect to feel any difference, but I was wrong. Check ebay or completeexhaust.com for stuff. Complete exhaust offer discounts for forum members, too.
5700???? are you serious....? Maybe I'm shifting wrong...but I usually shift it out between 2700 and 3000......
Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

yea shifting between 2000-3000 is what you shift at normally for good gas mileage and such...but see you cannot have it both ways...if you want to go really really fast and drive hard then you wont get the mileage out of the car...then again if you want good gas mileage go buy a prius
Old 07-14-2006, 02:03 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

5700???? are you serious....? Maybe I'm shifting wrong...but I usually shift it out between 2700 and 3000......
LOL!!!

You have more speed! It's located on the floor under the right pedal. To get to it, mash the damned pedal to the friggin' floor and shift at 5700-5800. Grip it and rip it, son!

If you want to save gas, accelerate slowly to 2000 rpm and shift.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:29 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

I think he means when you are racing, not daily driving. And I really hope you dont shift at 3000 when you are racing. Thats just wrong.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:51 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

i am starting to think this a joke post. 2700-3000 shifts? Easy there lead-foot. Get in your car, pull out in first and pin your foot the firewall til you hit the rev limiter, then shift, your car will let you know when you are at teh limit. you need to get comfy with your car you 1 crazy driver you. if you arent willing to do that, grab your purse and trade your stang in for a pt cruiser.

Quick Reply: Need more speed