4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Do tuners really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:47 AM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

Default Do tuners really make a difference?

I've been giving alot of thought to getting a SCT X Cal 2 but then it does cost a pretty penny... will i be amazed at the differences i see with it or will i not be completely satisfied? i plan on gettin a few more things in a few weeks but is tihs very necessary?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:02 AM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Do tuners really make a difference?

Well, since you have nitrouscoming, you really dont have a choice. You need to get the tuner to run it without blowing your motor, unless you just use a 50 shot or less. You have a few mods and you would probably notice a small increase in power if you have it dyno tuned by a professional.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:04 AM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

By the way, make sure you get a tuner that can store atleast two seperate tunes. You need one for nitrous and one to run without it.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:04 AM
texashotrods
2nd Gear Member

The thing w/ Tuners is that it allows you adjustability, so you can tweak it until you get the best setup for your vehicle. Although it comes w/ the three tuners, you can also adjust the settings.

The great thing is that the tuners can be reprogrammed (the new tunes can be emailed to you) as you add mods, so it's an awesome investment if you're planning to continue modifying the vehicle.

We're going to have a Group Buy on these coming up, so look out because you'll be able to get it at an awesome price!

Lizzie
Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

All the mods you see in my sig were on my car BEFORE i got it tuned. I put down 227WHP and 269WTQ. AFTER tuning by P and J speed shop I went to 251WHP and 299WTQ. I'll take thos gains any day, especially since i only paid $175 for the tuner!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:09 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

trust me you will notice a difference with a tuner. made my car run alot better. trust me you will notice a big difference
Old 07-14-2006, 03:11 PM
yellowgtstang18
4th Gear Member

especially if u have an auto...
Old 07-14-2006, 03:14 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Yea tuners definitely made a difference, at least to me. My car gained 20hp and 22ft-lb of torque! I was amazed I wasnt expecting it to be that high. Also as yellowstang said, its pretty much a must if you have an automatic tranny. I definitely reccomend getting it.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Sebski
2nd Gear Member

dont have an auto tranny its manual, and are you guys talking such big gains by a shops tune or the SCT handheld... im curious if the handheld makes those power gains? and to that guy who only paid 175 ur lucky if i get the tuner ill fork out 370 sumtin...
Old 07-14-2006, 05:22 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sebski

dont have an auto tranny its manual, and are you guys talking such big gains by a shops tune or the SCT handheld... im curious if the handheld makes those power gains? and to that guy who only paid 175 ur lucky if i get the tuner ill fork out 370 sumtin...
i got my tuner from modularpowerhouse.com the tuner there (tim) knows everything about mustangs. you can feel it but not as much as i thought it would. but thats not the main reason i got the tuner. it was for futer dyno tunes since im getting nitrous. i would highly recoment www.modularpowerhouse.com great people over there and they know alot. when you order it they will call you and ask for your mods. and will tune it for the mods that you have

Quick Reply: Do tuners really make a difference?