4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CLUTCH install --- new clutch new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:37 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: CLUTCH install --- new clutch new clutch

i did my rear main and oil pan while my trans/clutch was out as they were both leaking! now my car doesnt leak anymore but it sure burns it

the seal was like $12 and then you need some black RTV... unless you just yank the seal out

I dropped the pan then removed the plate that the seal sits in
Old 07-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Blck98GT
I ♥ Acer

Thanks guys.. everything is going back in tommorrow... so hopefully it is all smooth. monkeydude, about how long did it take you to put it all back together?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:55 PM
98MustangSTL
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, to get to the seal, there was this plate that I had to remove. Once that was removed, I thought I saw the seal, but it was just the rubber seal cover. I removed that, then I pulled the seal out. Just make sure you get that seal all the way back in around the crank...I used a block of wood to evenly push the seal on.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:56 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

well... i wanna say 3 hours, but I worked on it 3 days in a row for an hour each time. It was pretty gay because I had school, work, etc and the car was at my sister's house, and it was about 20 degrees outside. If I had time I could have gotten the whole thing done in one day.

Just be sure to have a friend or two to help weasel the trans and mid pipe back in, and you should have it together in no time. Just double check every connection, make sure everything is torqued and you will be fine

and i take it thatis your car in your sig?? looks great! I got a set of cobra wheels like that in my basement and new tires on the back porch ready to go in
Old 07-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Blck98GT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

well... i wanna say 3 hours, but I worked on it 3 days in a row for an hour each time. It was pretty gay because I had school, work, etc and the car was at my sister's house, and it was about 20 degrees outside. If I had time I could have gotten the whole thing done in one day.

Just be sure to have a friend or two to help weasel the trans and mid pipe back in, and you should have it together in no time. Just double check every connection, make sure everything is torqued and you will be fine

and i take it thatis your car in your sig?? looks great! I got a set of cobra wheels like that in my basement and new tires on the back porch ready to go in

yeah its mine.. thanks.. Those pics are a little old, as you can tell they still have the mustangevo sig on the bottom fo the pic.. so i need to get some new updated ones..

THANKS to everybody for the help.. I will post tommorrow and let you all know how it went.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:01 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

well it's an awesome car.. have a great one i gotta go to work

peace!
Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Don't forget the input shaft seal (on the tranny).
Old 07-14-2006, 04:03 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yup! i rebuild my T45 and i replaced that while i was in there

peace
Old 07-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Blck98GT
I ♥ Acer

Alright fellas...
Saturday we got started on putting everything back together. The pilot bearing was a pain to get out but all is well now, the tranny gave us a fight but finally she went in too. Everything went back together and it came down to the start. Started the car and a horrible grinding noise came from the motor I knew it was the starter when i heard and and then went away. Turned it off started it again and the same thing so I just drove it up the street to make sure the clutch and everything was fine, which it was but the starter is still grinding. We are thinking that maybe its just off but a little bit but if its bolted all the way to bellhousing shouldnt it be aligned straight?? any help would be great..
Old 07-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Blck98GT
I ♥ Acer

EDIT:: it took 5 hours to take the tranny off on thursday, and saturday from 8AM-5PM a good work day.. And this was 3 guys that have been working on cars all their life.

Quick Reply: CLUTCH install --- new clutch new clutch