4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What am I looking at after all this???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 12:07 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default What am I looking at after all this???

Ok, at the end of the month I was planning on throwing an 8 psi root style supercharger on my '02 GT but I think I have changed my mind. I think what Im going to do is a Steeda timing adjuster, port and polish the heads and a better intake. After all that what do you think im looking at in rwhp including my mods listed below? And if I do the port and polishing what ever I can port and polish will I still be able to supercharge later? Thanks a lot for your input.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: What am I looking at after all this???

Yes, why would that hinder you supercharging your car at a later date?

You might have troubles with your mufflers down the road if you slap on a blower. Flowmasters are known for breaking a baffle or two when pushing nice HP through them.

Right now I'd say you are between 245-260RWHP, porting your upper intake is good for a documented 10RWHP. After that, strap on a blower!!!

With that setup (minus the blower) with some 4.10 gears and decent tires, you'll have enough to shock some LS1's.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:28 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

whats the HP gain with porting and polishing the heads, intake and the timing adjuster all at once?
Old 05-18-2004, 02:45 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Nothing anywhere close to adding a blower. I dont think you are going to see much if any difference with the intake without doing all of the pre intake modifications. AKA K&N thru upper T/B. I don't know the kind of prices you are getting, but I havent seen to many intakes south of a grand. And the port and polish is going to drain your pocket as well.

If your going dig into the engine, why not go with a set of cams? I would install a set of cams anyday over a intake, and you shouldnt be paying to much more/less for it. Add that in with headwork and you would really be smoking. A company called "Power Heads" advertises I beileve a 50 RWHP difference on a stock setup with thier 1300 dollar package (heads/cams). Patriot performance also does a nice setup.

The downside is you would probably need to install the blower first, as the cams would be setup for a supercharged car. However you are looking at a very nice RWHP setup (500 +) after all of this is complete.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:29 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Not to worried about money and I know im not going to get what a blower would give me, but there is a really good possibility of throwing a rob with a stock engine with anything over 8 pounds of boost. So I figured I would start from the bottom and go up instead of going from the blower down like with what you said with the cam.

I dont really want to go to deep in the internals and mess with that stuff because it is still all under factory and extended warranty. So in about 40,000 miles I will start doing that and with the way I drive I will have 40 grand on it in a matter of months!

What else can I do right now that is setting up for a blower. I dont want to really mess with the injectors or a chip because that comes with the blower package, I drive to much highway for a rearend (and besides I plan on getting the S/C sooner or later so 3.27's are good). Im really at a standing point untill my warranty wears out, huh? Any advice anyone?
Old 05-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

What else can I do right now that is setting up for a blower. I dont want to really mess with the injectors or a chip because that comes with the blower package, I drive to much highway for a rearend (and besides I plan on getting the S/C sooner or later so 3.27's are good). Im really at a standing point untill my warranty wears out, huh? Any advice anyone?
If you aren't worried about money, why are ya worried about your warranty? You can cancel your extended warranty and get some money back.

From what I'm seeing, more and more people are running GT's with 10psi, I myself thought that was risky but apparantly with a tune - it seems to be working fine for people.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:06 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

well I have enough money to not have any worries but why spend it where you dont need to? The warranty is there for a reason and I like it so I dont want to exactly get rid of it. I just dont want to run the risk of blowing an engine.

Another question though... I called and talked to the guy about doing the porting of the heads and putting bigger valves in and he said after all the labor, parts and the port itself he said Im looking at about $2400.00. Is that right or does that sound a little high?
Old 05-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Ok, at the end of the month I was planning on throwing an 8 psi root style supercharger on my '02 GT but I think I have changed my mind. I think what Im going to do is a Steeda timing adjuster, port and polish the heads and a better intake. After all that what do you think im looking at in rwhp including my mods listed below? And if I do the port and polishing what ever I can port and polish will I still be able to supercharge later? Thanks a lot for your input.
...do all of the above, AND add a supercharger
Old 05-18-2004, 03:15 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I would like to but I want to build the bottom up first and I dont want to do it wrong.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Nothing anywhere close to adding a blower. I dont think you are going to see much if any difference with the intake without doing all of the pre intake modifications. AKA K&N thru upper T/B. I don't know the kind of prices you are getting, but I havent seen to many intakes south of a grand. And the port and polish is going to drain your pocket as well.

If your going dig into the engine, why not go with a set of cams? I would install a set of cams anyday over a intake, and you shouldnt be paying to much more/less for it. Add that in with headwork and you would really be smoking. A company called "Power Heads" advertises I beileve a 50 RWHP difference on a stock setup with thier 1300 dollar package (heads/cams). Patriot performance also does a nice setup.

The downside is you would probably need to install the blower first, as the cams would be setup for a supercharged car. However you are looking at a very nice RWHP setup (500 +) after all of this is complete.
Im with him