4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What Could It Be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 10:49 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default What Could It Be?

Hey guys, some of you know I installed my Stingers and H pipe two Mondays ago. Well, I had to have a shop torch out the lower bolt on passenger side connecting h pipe to the manifolds.. I had replacement bolts, but i never got my stud back since it was damaged. I bolted everything togehter and drove a few days without the stud/bolt in that hole. I noticed a leak, obviously, and it kept getting bigger, and i would have fixed it the next day, but i didnt have a replacement stud. Long story short, I bought a new stud, dropped my H pipe, put in a new gasket and installed that stud, bolted everything back together. My friend helped me hold the H pipe so i could align it, and after everything was tightened, i started my car. We both immediately noticed that it sounded about half as loud as it did the first day i put it all on. I thought maybe we've both heard it alot now and are used to it, but thats not it... a handful of people agree with me.. ANY ideas on whats up with it? Could i have gotten more leaks? ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:34 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What Could It Be?

Somebody... anybody...
Old 07-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

I doubt it would be a leak, maybe it had huge leak to begin with... lol, and now its fixed.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:20 AM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

it would be alot louder with the leak than it would be with out it. so more than likely you have fixed the leak.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:40 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Well, i thought about that, and it kind of does and kind of doesnt make sense.. Yes, a leak would probably be noisy, which they are, but it just sounded like puffing on the right side towards the front.. When i mean quieter, the sound coming out of the tail pipes was alot louder before i fixed it.. Sounded like more air was passing through the mufflers. Now, it just doesnt sound as loud and mean..
Old 07-16-2006, 04:53 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsg04gt

Well, i thought about that, and it kind of does and kind of doesnt make sense.. Yes, a leak would probably be noisy, which they are, but it just sounded like puffing on the right side towards the front.. When i mean quieter, the sound coming out of the tail pipes was alot louder before i fixed it.. Sounded like more air was passing through the mufflers. Now, it just doesnt sound as loud and mean..
If all you did was replace the stud and gasket to fix the exhaust leak, logically, the tone coming out of the tail pipe would not change all that much. Seriously, think about it.

[sm=rolleyes.gif]