4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch and flywheel change

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:47 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch and flywheel change

Hey gang, kinda stuck into doin this myself, so i am wondering how long, how difficult, and what is needed. I have a clutch and spec aluminum flywheel to install and am mechanically inclined. The only thing i am worried about is how long and what tools are needed. also, anyone know the torque specs on the bolts for the flywheel? Thanks for any help!
Old 07-17-2006, 03:57 AM
bvballer12
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch and flywheel change

why are you bothering with those you only need to do that **** if you have a ton of power
Old 07-17-2006, 04:08 AM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

ok ignore bvballer

you'll need a lot of extensions, maybe 3ft in various lengths and a couple swivels. you basically take off the x pipe and drive shaft, unbolt the shifter handle. then jack up the motor to get to the top two tranny bolts and the top bolt on the starter is a b****. you have to come at it from the front of the motor by the driverside header.

pretty sure the only special tool was the pilot bearing puller but you may not even be replacing it. everything else was basic hand tools and an impact wrench.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

can i do it without an impact wrench? and are you saying i would need a total of 3ft in extensions, kinda like i would need a 3 foot extension? where is a safe place for me to put the jack to raise the motor? do i need to remove the starter or just the one bolt? also, am i taking the tranny out or just the tw obolts? Sorry for all the questions just really unsure of what to be doing. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:55 AM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

yes you can do it without an impact wrench. i forgot for what but i didnt use is much other than taken the wheels off. youll need around that much total length. get a few different sizes. i used a wood block on a floor jack and put it just in front of the oil pan. you have to remove the starter, but that one bolt is the hardest to get to because you have to use a mirror to see it. theres about 7 or 8 total bolts but the top two you cant really get to without tilting the motor.

btw make sure you drained the tranny fluid before you tilt it and even then more will come out the tailshaft of the tranny.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:56 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Yes you have to remove the starter (pain in the ***). I find it easier to remove the passenger tire and go thru the area by the motor mounts with an extention.
I tilt the engine back with ratchet straps on the strut tower bolts and a sterdy part on the front of the engine. You will need a pretty long extention on the top 2 bolts on the bellhousing and yes you are removing the trans out of the car. I always do the top 2 first and than undo the rest. Don't forget to drain the fluid out of trans first other wise it will get messy. Did your new clutch come with an alignment tool. if not you will need one

DOH! M1ke you beat me
Old 07-17-2006, 12:16 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys i appreciate all your help. Should i just go and change my tranny fluid? my car has about 50k on it. How long do you think it will take for me to do this? about 12 hours i was told.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:13 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

anybody know how long this will take me? roughly of course... Thanks!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:16 PM
yellowjacket01
2nd Gear Member

not to hijack your post but is this helping reduce your drivetrain loss?im thinking about doing the lighter flywheel
Old 07-17-2006, 01:17 PM
LTHL SVT

its about a 4 hour job with little breaks.

Quick Reply: Clutch and flywheel change