4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 08:34 PM
normanbaites
1st Gear Member

Default INTAKE

is there a major difference from spending 60 bucks on a ghetto cheap intake like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38634
and buying a K & N intake? are name brands worth the extra 150 dollars. id love any advice, as my ebay finger is itching to just click buy, but i dont know which intake to get. im a no nothing newbie to mods, so help is greatly appreciated. oh i have a 99 gt if that makes any difference.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:42 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: INTAKE

Dont go cheap or you will kick you're self in the end. Take a look at www.Densecharger.com. They have the best numbers in the market right now.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:26 PM
dubie76

This was the question that I asked in another posting. I too saw those intakes on Ebay. I am curious to know how they compare technically, and not by opinion.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:59 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

I agree with jdaniel. Mustang 5.0 magazine did a test with 6 or 7 different cold air intakes on a stock 03 cobra. Obviously the results are gonna be much higher gain for the cobra but the gains from different manufacturers should remain quite similiar with the GT. On the cobra the Densecharger gave it to the most horsepower, the cobra gained 25 RWHP off of the densecharger alone. I also prefer plastic intakes over chromed intakes. The whole point is to make the air colder if u have a chrome intake in there that is gonna heat up way more and way faster than a plastic one will.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:51 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Razor19

I agree with jdaniel. Mustang 5.0 magazine did a test with 6 or 7 different cold air intakes on a stock 03 cobra. Obviously the results are gonna be much higher gain for the cobra but the gains from different manufacturers should remain quite similiar with the GT. On the cobra the Densecharger gave it to the most horsepower, the cobra gained 25 RWHP off of the densecharger alone. I also prefer plastic intakes over chromed intakes. The whole point is to make the air colder if u have a chrome intake in there that is gonna heat up way more and way faster than a plastic one will.
Very well put. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 05-20-2004, 10:37 AM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

i would wait and see what this guy can get out of a gt with his intake. http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/
i know he did a fitting test for it and will dyno sometime this week. will keep you all posted.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:07 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

But that intake is just sor the Cobra, Lightning and the Mach1. It doesnt say anything about the GT. And besides... whats the difference in having just one pipe and two different pipes as an intake. Its going to the same place and if the two are sealed then its all the same. That one just looks fancy!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:32 PM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

refer to my previous post. it says that he is working on an intake for a GT. he is going to dyno a GT with his intake sometime this week. the link was just to show you his work and the gains pulled from it.

if you would have read some of the stuff on the page. its one PLASTIC piece that doesn't get hot... hence the name jlt's true cold air intake. even after four back to back dyno pulls in hot weather, it stayed cool to the touch.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

if you would have read some of the stuff on the page. its one PLASTIC piece that doesn't get hot... hence the name jlt's true cold air intake. even after four back to back dyno pulls in hot weather, it stayed cool to the touch.
I have a MAC CAI, it also stays cool to the touch. The air moves so fast through the intake, that it's not going to change the temperature of the air anything significant. Read up on those. It's been proven 1000 times.

The Plastic K&N one still draws air from under the hood. The air is HOT under there. Get on that sticks through the fender.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:38 PM
dubie76

I saw an article from some guy who made his own cai. He used a 4" pvc bend (rubber) with a reducer to fit the K&N filter. The filter sits inside of the fender well. I think I am going for this. True cold air for about $60!

Quick Reply: INTAKE