4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what's the best way to build a decent motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 02:12 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default what's the best way to build a decent motor?

I'm doing a lot of reading on this subject. Once I get some bills paid off it's time for my stang to receive a new 'heart'

I am a competant engine builder and have built a handful in my auto classes, and know if it is my engine on my time I can do great job. Of course any machining work needed I would take it to a machine shop.

My ultimate goal out of my car is to put a centrifugal supercharger on it (vortech, procharger, paxton not sure) running at least 10 psi and making around 400-500 rwhp that is still reliable and streetable when not on the boost. I'd like to have a forged crank, rods and pistons as well.

I want to know what route I should take. Should I buy a long block engine ready to go, and transfer over all the accessories? Should I buy a short block, then buy some good PI heads and throw a blower cam set in? Should I tear my engine down and reuse that block, and have all the races machined and install new internals? I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to buy all new parts, and build the engine myself. I.E. new block, internals, heads etc.

I'm trying to find the most 'inexpensive' way to do this. I do not mean cheapest, but I mean the best bang for my buck that is likely to be still runnin strong 50k from now and involve the least headaches.

Any input is welcome, just trying to get an idea and research before I do.

George
Old 07-18-2006, 02:21 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: what's the best way to build a decent motor?

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

I'm doing a lot of reading on this subject. Once I get some bills paid off it's time for my stang to receive a new 'heart'

I am a competant engine builder and have built a handful in my auto classes, and know if it is my engine on my time I can do great job. Of course any machining work needed I would take it to a machine shop.

My ultimate goal out of my car is to put a centrifugal supercharger on it (vortech, procharger, paxton not sure) running at least 10 psi and making around 400-500 rwhp that is still reliable and streetable when not on the boost. I'd like to have a forged crank, rods and pistons as well.

I want to know what route I should take. Should I buy a long block engine ready to go, and transfer over all the accessories? Should I buy a short block, then buy some good PI heads and throw a blower cam set in? Should I tear my engine down and reuse that block, and have all the races machined and install new internals? I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to buy all new parts, and build the engine myself. I.E. new block, internals, heads etc.

I'm trying to find the most 'inexpensive' way to do this. I do not mean cheapest, but I mean the best bang for my buck that is likely to be still runnin strong 50k from now and involve the least headaches.

Any input is welcome, just trying to get an idea and research before I do.

George
hey monkey, if you have access to april issue of 5.0 and superfords that would be great. on pg 174 theres a write up on rebuilding a 4.6 they used a good rebuild kit from propower performance parts.......... www.propowerperf.com ....check it.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:23 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

unfortunately I do not... I usually only manage to get one magazine a month or so and this month I got MM and FF.

I don't want anything to radical. I just want to build a motor that can take 400-500 horse and not have reliability issues, so I'm not going too insane with it. I just wanna also be able to smoke most dudes in the next lane
Old 07-18-2006, 02:27 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

its a simple budget rebuild kit, with forged rods, mahle pistons and other goodies
Old 07-18-2006, 02:30 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I can't seem to find the kit on the site tho... ??

I also saw the 4.6 L street fighter kit for $2500 short block... with forged pistons and rods which i read are the weak points. Supposedly the crank is good to 500 horse, so if I do a 450 horse with a good tune that could work. hmmmm
Old 07-18-2006, 08:21 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

I'm guessing that its the 97 thats in your sig, so Even with a budget kit its gonna cost a few grand because you'll need PI heads and intake. The cast crank will handle 450 RWHP but the pistons and rods are marginal so you would need forged pieces in that area. When you start adding up all of the other parts you should use, like ARP main studs and head studs, gaskets, oil pump, bearings, etc etc, not to mention the machine work it might be better to look into a CHP or a DSS short block thats Blower ready. If you have a really good machine shop/engine builder near you thats another route you can look at. I know its nice to build it yourself but just having the correct tools on hand will be expensive. What you need to do is research it as best you can for prices of going both ways and make your decision based on that. Sad but true, if you wanna play you gonna pay, good luck.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:56 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

oh I know i"m gonna pay lol. I am thinking a short block is gonna be my route, then I can piece everything else together. It may actually be 'cheaper' to get a ready to go short block because like you said all the assemblywill require many special tools that I personally do not have.

I figure my car's engine is starting to go (not gone) but starting to... and the trouble and labor will be the same for me weather i swap in a low milage used one or a beefed up one, and for a bit more $ i can do the same job with a pimpin engine.

http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_4_6.htm

I'm liking the street fighter short block for $2600, that should be good for my 450 rwhp... but I will keep reading.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:35 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Where do you live? Lets start there....finding a good builder close to you can save you up to 200-300 dollars in shipping.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I live in Downers Grove, IL
Old 07-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Buy a "crate" engine. No hassle and is smokin' right out of the box.

Quick Reply: what's the best way to build a decent motor?