4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

02 gt hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 02 gt hood

I've heard of two people doing this and when they were going down the highway the scoop ripped off the hood.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:13 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

It wouldn't help much to make the factory '02 GT hood scoop functional (like the one in my sig). There is no high pressure air at the location where the hole would be... The only real spots to get good high pressure "ram" air is at the base of the hood by the windshield (cowl induction) like a Cobra. Or at the leading edge of the hood like some older classic musclecars used to do. Or if you wanna go extreme, you need to raise the scoop up about at least a foot & have a forward facing hole, like a snorkle scoop on a Pro Stock car.

then how does a mach 1 scoop work???[>:]

Old 07-19-2006, 06:23 PM
krm486
3rd Gear Member

My scoop has been drilled out and everything.. I like it except it makes everything under the hood really dirty, really fast!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:37 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I have the "no hood" option going right now since I sold my hood and the new one hasn't arrived yet
Old 07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I don't expect it to give horsepower where you can feel it... but it should slow heat soak, which after several runs at the track, it wouldn't be as hot, giving back a few ponies. The scoop flying off would suck though.

Code, what do you think about the idea?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:44 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

cutting a hole in your stock hood scoop isnt going to anything but cause trouble. That little extra air going in isnt going to do anything. The only way to have a functional hood scoop is to buy the hood scoop that the mach1 uses. I would spend my money elsewhere...
Old 07-19-2006, 06:44 PM
langod
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastsilverstang

It wouldn't help much to make the factory '02 GT hood scoop functional (like the one in my sig). There is no high pressure air at the location where the hole would be... The only real spots to get good high pressure "ram" air is at the base of the hood by the windshield (cowl induction) like a Cobra. Or at the leading edge of the hood like some older classic musclecars used to do. Or if you wanna go extreme, you need to raise the scoop up about at least a foot & have a forward facing hole, like a snorkle scoop on a Pro Stock car.

According to tests, it really doesn't do much of anything. Estimates are about 2 hp -- and thats only after you're really moving -- say 75mph or more. The new shaker hoods are mostly for looks. Our cars hoods are just too aerodynamic for such a low profile scoop to grab much air. The shape of the hood actually directs the majority of the airflow over the scoop. If you look at an old, say, 1969-70 Mustang, you'll notice that the leading edge of hood is a lot flatter and so doesn't puch the air up ofver the scoop.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:53 PM
clix813
4th Gear Member

I know it catches alot of air my old v6 with no hood scoop its hood would stay still going down the freeway man this one it shakes and crap when wind is going over it. hood scoops do still work
Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastsilverstang

They don't work nearly as well as the early 70's Trans Am shaker scoops did. On those cars the hole was at the BACK of the scoop not at the front. It might look silly but in reality there is much higher pressure air at the back than at the front.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:08 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

dont forget that when it rains and water falls down through there it'll steam like you busted a hose

Quick Reply: 02 gt hood