4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

recomendations for exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:24 AM
replica gt350

Default recomendations for exhaust

what headers and such would be best for a 2002 gt? i plan on flowmaster 40s already. also what tips would be best?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:25 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: recomendations for exhaust

Is the car 5-speed or auto?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:47 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

BBK is good and doesn't cost as much as the other brands.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:57 AM
replica gt350

5spd...im still a newbie on modding so i need specifics on each item i should get...also any suggestions for front and rear brakes?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:07 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Ok for a 5-speed... I would say BBK Long tubes. Thats what I got and I love them, they are great quality and power. However there are real name brands out there if you want to throw around some serious money such as Kooks, which are the best, but you could also go with SLP which makes great headers too.

BBKs - $500 (Cermaic Coated)
SLPs - $720 (SS as well as Ceramic Coated - the SS is the price difference for a little better quality) I didn't think it was necessary though and I didn't have the extra money, so I went BBK.)

All depends on the quality you want and the amount of money you have to throw around.

If you get LTs though, you need a "shorty" aftermarket midpipe as well, so you have to purchase the 2 of them together. Also you said you were getting some 40's... Honestly, just spend the $300 for the catback, it will be much better off in the end. Flowmaster catbacks are dirt cheap compared to others... And with just weld-ins, your not doing the exhaust any good if your planning on gaining power as well as sound.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:34 AM
Jcelli04
2nd Gear Member

if your short on money and want good headers for the money get bbk, thats what i have and i love them... but if you have the extra money get kooks or hooker so that if you ever wanna change a clutch you don't have to take off one of the headers (pita)
Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 AM
replica gt350

ok so pretty much bbk long tube headers and the matching shorty h-pipe...anything else?
Old 07-22-2006, 03:11 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Thats pretty much all you need. However there are some serious recommendations that you should know about.

If you are going with a catted midpipe, you don't have to worry about MILs, but if you are going o/r, you will need some.

And do yourself a favor... GET the Percy Header Gaskets. Honestly the gaskets BBK gives you are cardboard, I know because I still have them from when I got my headers, they SUCK. Percy gaskets will prevent leaks and will last forever, even reusable... Because if you don't get them and you have a header leak... You are going to want to kick yourself because they are a PITA to install... Forget about uninstalling them just for a leak.

Other than that your set!
Old 07-22-2006, 03:17 AM
JT76

flowmasters sound like crapola IMO.......if you want a nice "in the middle" exhaust get magnaflow , and if you want loud get SLP and if you want LOUD get Borla stingers
Old 07-22-2006, 03:26 AM
meebix
4th Gear Member

and if you want loud get SLP and if you want LOUD get Borla stingers
Just so hes not confused... SLPs are MUCH louder than Stingers. Stingers are loud, Loudmouths are LOOOUUUDD.

But I agree on the crappiness of the slowmasters. Their quality is **** and I don't like the way they sound either, but I hate making decisions for people, because its your car. Thats why I didnt say anything. And I know I did just say something, but the fact that they are crappy quality is fact compared to other systems... But if you like the sound, its your car.

Quick Reply: recomendations for exhaust