4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

For those debating about Saleen and KB

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:01 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: For those debating about Saleen and KB

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake
Edit: I just thought of this, and I'm VERY surprised I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere. If I can get the Series IV before this sale ends, I know that it will not take me where I want to go power-wise. What I was going to do to combat this, was use a little bit of the spray in combination with the blower. The main problem with the Saleen blower is heat... heat soaks to the cooler, and the blower generates a lot of heat... Nitrous has a very nice cooling effect, on top of that, when you spray in nitrous you're not increasing pressure in the intake manifold, so you very likely will see the full 75 HP from a 75 shot. I could imagine the Series IV with the factory pulley @ 8 psi + a 75 shot (TUNED!!!) putting you at the limits of your factory short block... You'll have a very nice 325 RWHP without the juice, add your 75 shot, you'll be at ~380 RWHP and have gobs more torque. Just something to consider.
My thoughts exactly. Its kinda hard to do all this while being deployed. :-(.... But I'm having my local performance shop pick up the parts and my friend will drive my car to the shop.

Its almost a personal venditta of mine to get her as close to if not a little over 400rwhp with just the blower and full bolt ons. DSS racing will be suppling me with a 4.6 stroker rotating assembly by December hopefully. Either way, its a decient blower. I have had very little experiance with it, except when I drove my friends Saleen SC281 w/ the blower on it and the pulley upgrade. He had dynoed around 360rwhp with a great tune and no other bolt ons. Mind you he still had no exhuast work done, and the stock lower Air Intake of the Saleen is similar to what you get with the Stock 4.6 GT. Very Restrictive. Open that up, take the cats off, put a better exhuast, increase your throttle body, and I'm sure you'll be close to a stock 03/04 cobra. Another 400 to 500 for a bottle will just finish off that combo.

In the end, you get what you pay for. For me, when I do work on my motor, the rest of the car has to stay with the power. That includes, suspension, brakes, weight, air in = air out. Its something that alot overlook. I know a guy that has one of them Procharger D-1s on his Stang. Spent well over 5500 on just getting the power there. The next week he was at the track. Blew his clutch out. Next week, his rear end gave out when he tried to launch at 5000rpms and some Slicks.

Can't go wrong either way. But working for the government at a E-4s paycheck. :-( I already live an expensive lifestyle as it is. heh. Anyone here in the Central Texas Area by anychance besides Code? Hell anyone at Fort Hood here with a Stang that wants to get together for a cruise to San Antonio Raceway one of these weekends?
Old 07-23-2006, 05:10 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

ORIGINAL: nopropslaw

the kb comes with 38's I believe...SO like you said, you most likely will need that, if not 42's...But my question is, would you need an upgraded fuel pump...I see you upgraded the MAF, what about the fuel pump...
No I don't believe you will need a upgraded fuel pump for applications around 400 to 450. I think 500 is achivable without a cobra or svt fuel pump.

HEy GT_Bob may know more about that because he is up there in that HP range.

I don't remeber the exact size of t he pulley to tell you the truth .

The KB out of the box comes with 36lb injectors which is good for about 500rwhp+-. After that, you get a really unstable fuel mixture heading quickly towards the lean side. The KB "boost-a-pump" increases the voltage to the stock fuel pump under boost therefore increasing fuel pressure when needed. There again, I think that 500rwhp+- is the limit on that set up. About the MAFS, if you run a 90mm it will work with what ever injector you want to use, (within reason), as long as you have the tune correct. Air/fuel ratio, timing and boost is the best way to make power but hey all have to work together.

[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 07-23-2006, 05:11 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

I love it when I quote myself............................................ .........[sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 07-23-2006, 05:22 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the return comments, mylongvictor. I was hoping someone would actually read my condensed version of 4 hours of reading/research

The biggest issue appears to be heat. My goal is to max out my factory short block... After that I'll take my hand at engine building, I -want- to pick up a new block, a new forged rotating assembly, new bare 4v heads, all the goodies for the heads and assemble myself a motor... while my 2v keeps at work in my stang till I complete my little 4v project. After that, the sky is the limit... more of, my funding is the limit I think I can be content with 400 RWHP while I build a 4v that can support more. I was able to find some bare 4v heads for $1200 for a pair, which was my inspiration for the whole project. I don't expect it to be cheap but I hope I can keep some of the costs down by building it myself... since time will not be an issue because I'll still have a running 2v, I think I can build an engine. That's just what -I- want to do.

New power is a balancing act... sure you can build a 500 engine, but you'll break everything else down the line unless you make upgrades.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

So you guys are saying that if i build a car that makes 375-400 rwhp that my stock 4.6 motor should be able to hold it? and also i'm lookin at in the future 500 rwhp which sc should i go with?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:27 PM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

So you guys are saying that if i build a car that makes 375-400 rwhp that my stock 4.6 motor should be able to hold it? and also i'm lookin at in the future 500 rwhp which sc should i go with?
I hear 450 rwhp is the limit on the block (thats about 490 fwhp). Will the accufab 70mm t/b hook up to this blower???? Also is the stock boost is 4 does that mean i will see less with underdrive pullies?????
Old 07-23-2006, 01:54 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

this has a been a great inforamative article you've all help me decide on the saleen. anybody in their right mind would go with the kb, but with that extra 1200 dollars you spread that all over you stang. you know for the supercharger price and install you could pretty much yank the engine and have it rebuilt with raw power.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:56 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

The rods in the engine are rated to 450 HP, that'll be flywheel naturally. That's where the "limit" comes from. Above that and you're playing with fire.

SonicBlue, if you want to make 500 RWHP on all blower, you'll have to go with the 1.7 KB, even then you'll be pushing its limits... the 2.2KB can get you there (and farther). Your stock 4.6 should be able to hold 375-400 RWHP. The Series IV will bring you to 350 of that, then if you add a 100-125 shot of nitrous on a built short block you can easily see 500 RWHP. The cooling effect of nitrous will defeat the major disadvantage of the Series IV, heat... those are the two easiest options to get you there... The S4 + nitrous will get you there a little with a little less cost, and should be more streetable.

If you have underdrive pullies you'll be seeing less than the 4lbs advertised... Generally, UDPs and superchargers don't mix.

Edit: No, you will not be able to use your accufab T/B... the S4 uses a twin-blade design much like the 03/04 cobras.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:00 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hot wheels

this has a been a great inforamative article you've all help me decide on the saleen. anybody in their right mind would go with the kb, but with that extra 1200 dollars you spread that all over you stang. you know for the supercharger price and install you could pretty much yank the engine and have it rebuilt with raw power.
Not necessarily... The S4 is a great choice if all you want is 300-350 RWHP. You can add more with nitrous if you later choose... and to top it all off in the end it will cost you less than a 1.7 KB to push the same power. I can imagine the S4 mixes very well with nitrous simply because the nitrous will cool everything down.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:35 PM
The02GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

If you have underdrive pullies you'll be seeing less than the 4lbs advertised... Generally, UDPs and superchargers don't mix.

Edit: No, you will not be able to use your accufab T/B... the S4 uses a twin-blade design much like the 03/04 cobras.
In the pic it look like its using the STOCK ford single blade t/b, let me know, plus why is this series 4 a different color and it has a different front housing than the black one from thr

[IMG]local://upfiles/15082/2BBD814A5820480083A343F08F823B2F.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: For those debating about Saleen and KB