4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang GT Design. What Year? What Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT Design. What Year? What Parts?

Go for '93 and older Fox bodies. They're less expensive and will give you more room for modification. Plus, the 302 has more aftermarket support to get NA power.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:13 PM
LakiPolitis

Isn't the 93 5.0 and 94 4.6 less powerful than the 96-98s 4.6??
Old 07-22-2006, 09:59 PM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

'94 marked the new sn-95 body as all of you may know but the 4.6 did not become standard till '96. so if you get a '94-95 these are still 5.0 302 motors which are less powerful than the newer 4.6 modular motors but there are a helluva lot more after market parts for these motors and can cheaply and easily attain very good power numbers from these 5.0's by just beefin up the motors. and the 94-95 cars are more stiffer than the previous fox bodies which will help you.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:06 PM
LakiPolitis

ORIGINAL: rjgstang

'94 marked the new sn-95 body as all of you may know but the 4.6 did not become standard till '96. so if you get a '94-95 these are still 5.0 302 motors which are less powerful than the newer 4.6 modular motors but there are a helluva lot more after market parts for these motors and can cheaply and easily attain very good power numbers from these 5.0's by just beefin up the motors. and the 94-95 cars are more stiffer than the previous fox bodies which will help you.
Dude. thanks for the break down. Yay noobs. That's for the explanation. I'm going to look into the 94 GT, looks like that's the platform for me. It seems the stock motor isn't too agressive, but I guess that 215 will rise pretty quickly. How much horsepower can I get out of that engine before the cams, the block, or heads are going to give me problems?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:07 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

what are you going to use to get this HP?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:11 PM
LakiPolitis

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

what are you going to use to get this HP?
It looks like the same stuff up at the top of the list, just for the 94-95 GT. I was looking at the NOS kit, but then again I don't want a bomb in my trunk, especially next to 20 gallons of gas, and I think it's illegal in Florida, i'm not sure though.

-- Performance spark plugs (brand?? model??)
-- BBK 75mm Power-plus Throttle Body
-- Performance Fuel Injectors (how many lbs per hour?? Accel or Ford performance?)
-- Compatible Fuel Pump (included in powerdyne kit: 190lph should I go for more? ~24lb per injector)
-- Cold Air Intake (Larger than life air filter with short distance to engine)
-- Free-flow Exhaust Kit (brand?)
-- Compatible Free-flow headers (brand? short of long?)
-- Supercharger kit (brand? psi?)
-- ECU Chip Upgrade (Superchips or another brand??)
-- Sidemounted Intercooler (so the radiator is exposed to cool air as well.)

I'm figuring moderate gains from everything except the supercharger which I'm hoping with a sidemounted intercooler can put me up to about 350hp, then the rest will make up the way to 400hp. If that's not realistic, please correct me. I"m still new at Mustangs. I can spit off these numbers for VWs and BMWs. This would be my first American car.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:29 PM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LakiPolitis

ORIGINAL: rjgstang

Dude. thanks for the break down. Yay noobs. That's for the explanation. I'm going to look into the 94 GT, looks like that's the platform for me. It seems the stock motor isn't too agressive, but I guess that 215 will rise pretty quickly. How much horsepower can I get out of that engine before the cams, the block, or heads are going to give me problems?

man just start researching you can get all that **** and more for even cheaper than you can for the 4.6. start reading mags, 5.0 and super fords is a damn good one and so is muscle mustangs and fast fords you will learn a ton about 5.0 motors just by reading these. there are a TON of people who have put an efi 5.0 in old mustangs and they look pretty good too!! you buy a stroker kit for these and have WELL OVER 400 hp on just the motor.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:32 PM
LakiPolitis

Again the noobticity comes forth. What is a stroker kit and what does it do. And how much installation is required for it?
Old 07-22-2006, 10:34 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

You can have a nitrous bottle in florida. But it can't be opened. If you get pulled over and the bottle is unscrewed then you get a ticket. (its something like intention to race)
Old 07-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

A stroker kit will increase the stroke of the crank, thereby increasing the total displacement of the engine. Go here for some options. For $6200 you can get a crate 347 with 550hp and 560tq ready to drop into your engine bay. Sell your old engine to make up the cost difference. Of course, that doesn't include some of the necessities, like a clutch, rear end, driveshaft, control arms, etc. to make your car actually hold that kind of power....

ORIGINAL: LakiPolitis

Again the noobticity comes forth. What is a stroker kit and what does it do. And how much installation is required for it?

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Design. What Year? What Parts?