4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PYPES exhaust anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 07:49 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default PYPES exhaust anyone?

Well i added a BBK CAI, that put some chrome under the hood. Installed the Predator tune, thought I felt a difference. Had the 4.10 gearset installed, surely this would help. Well I still ran about the same, 14.5 but at a couple of MPH higher at 98. Gas mileage stayed the same, 18 overall. Now I am about to install a PYPES catted X-pipe and catback with their Race pro mufflers which are the quietest they offer but are straight thru. If you have this exhaust, possibly without the cats what performance, mileage nor sound/loudness did you find with the system? Thanks much in advance, Mark
Old 07-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Rantheman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: PYPES exhaust anyone?

sorry the only thing i have of pypes is a o/r x pipe but i love it if that helps
Old 07-23-2006, 10:41 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ranthemansorry the only thing i have of pypes is a o/r x pipe but i love it if that helps
O/R must mean Off road. Why do you love it? More power? sound? mileage? How isd the fit as i have seen better quality exhausts but you get what you pay for and I got the catted X for $249. and the catback for $332. Both aluminized. I understand thay are going to stainless and instead of the pipes being bent in Canada they will be done in China. Mark
Old 07-23-2006, 10:42 PM
stangy004
2nd Gear Member

im assuming u have a 99gt i thought they were running 14 flat stock how r u running a 14.5 with those mods .
Old 07-23-2006, 11:32 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangy004im assuming u have a 99gt i thought they were running 14 flat stock how r u running a 14.5 with those mods .
Well mine is an automatic with stock converter and it's a convertible. I doubt thre BBK CAI did anything, may have even hurt it some as the piping is steel and holds heat very well so any fenderwell air is subjected to inderhood heat with that piping. I have learned the JLT system is 4" plastic and has both the filter and MAF both in the fenderwell and I would imagine the intake temp sensor also. Much better.
Then I ordered the RPMOUTLET tuner and gearset combo, great deal. I used the Diablo tune I was sent and changed a few of the parameters, mostly shifting and raised the timing 10% for both the 2000-4000rpm range and the 4000 and up. Maybe the 4000 and up should be backed off as usually motors don't like a lot of timing in the higher rpm ranges. Other than that the tune is what the Predator comes with. I really thought I felt a noticeable change with the tuner. Didn't time it. Then had the 4.10's installed and with both the tune and gears I thought a .3 increase was the minimum I should have seen. Like I said the MPH went up 2mph but the time was actually about about .1 slower. It was a hot day also so that didn't help.
Honestly I have not seen any of the 260HP GT's run a flat 14. I am hoping the stock exhaust is choking some of the tuners effect. As you know it's 2.25" and has 4 cats while the PYPES has 2 cats and is a 2.5" system.
I believe I raised the 1-2 shift point to 5800rpm and the 2-3 is around 5500 or just a little more.
Disregarding the fact you think my car should run a 14 flat I am also wondering why the tune and gears did help the 1/4 mile time. I am using a g-tech type timer but even if it's not the most accurate I only care that it is consistant. That way I can assess changes with different mods. I am not expecting much from this car, a 13.5 would be about all of my expectations and about all I have left for bolt ons is UDP's(5HP) and a BBK 75mm TB/C&L plenum(7HP). 12Hp for about $500. plus some labor for the pulley install. Headers are around $500. for a good set of long tubes and I am told they are around an 8 hour install which would add another $325. Again, not worth the gain for the dollar. I am open to advice and have contacted Code3GT who is one of the quickest NA GT's. He suggested the same mods. The motor has nearly 55K. miles and has the original plugs but i bought a set of NGK Platimums even though the 1 plug I removed looked Ok. Would not hurt to change the plugs.
Does anyone have advice on making this car a 13.5 1/4 miler? Besides slisks and a high stall converter. It's not a 1/4 mile car and most of any type of accelleration with another car would most likely be on a roll. I just use the timer for seeing what I have done accomplished. Thanks, mark
PS: 18MPG with the 4.10's, the same as with the stock 3.27's.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:43 PM
stangy004
2nd Gear Member

how far can u raise your shift points with the tuner all your power is up top so if u can get a few more hundred rpm it might help alot i dont shift my 04 gt to 6500 and its a stock block
Old 07-23-2006, 11:57 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sweet99

Well i added a BBK CAI, that put some chrome under the hood. Installed the Predator tune, thought I felt a difference. Had the 4.10 gearset installed, surely this would help. Well I still ran about the same, 14.5 but at a couple of MPH higher at 98. Gas mileage stayed the same, 18 overall. Now I am about to install a PYPES catted X-pipe and catback with their Race pro mufflers which are the quietest they offer but are straight thru. If you have this exhaust, possibly without the cats what performance, mileage nor sound/loudness did you find with the system? Thanks much in advance, Mark
how far apart date wise did you run these two times?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:43 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Times were less than 2 weeks, maybe only 9-10 days and on the same strecth of road. Had a friend in the car so that's another 200lbs. but he was along the first time also and track times have shown that this timer is right about .2 too quick compared so his weght makes the times about right.
I have to launch with a short half throttle and then hit it or it would spin like mad. The one time I did a brake torque type launch it revved with spin right into 2nd gear. Like I said I am not looking for a track car but a balanced ride with some added power, good handling and braking (which isn't bad stock) and not hurt the gas mileage too badly. I am quite sure my 50-70mph passing times have been shortened but no way to measure those.
shift at 6500 rpm's!! What is redline on a '94? I don't think my motor is making power that high. Not with the stock exhaust anyways and you must have many more mods to be shifting that high. I realize the 4.6 is more of a rpm motor campared to the 5.0 which is more of a torque motor but 6500 on a NON Cobra motor! WOW! You have big kahuna's. I will see what the exhaust does for time and how freely it revs. To be continued.....Advice still appreciated, mark
It says the tuner has logging capabilities and I might try logging a 1/4 mile run. Don't think I can delete the log but can upload it into a computer with the right cord. I am not computer litterate so I would need help with that. Do the GT's have knock sensors? If they do I will be able to read the log and see if the timing stays up or takes a dive due to knock. I did not mess with the AFR's as I have no access to a dyno locally and I am not sure what AFR is considered safe on a NA motor. My Turbo Talon ran fine with an 11:1 AFR on 93 pump but I was able to read knock and had a wideband o2 sensor also. Not even sure a NA with limited fuel available runs even as lean as a 15:1 at WOT. Need a dyno for adjusting that parameter!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangy004how far can u raise your shift points with the tuner all your power is up top so if u can get a few more hundred rpm it might help alot i dont shift my 04 gt to 6500 and its a stock block
The S/C is what gets that motor to rev to 65ooRPM's. I doubt many if any bolt on moddded GT's are shifting near 6500RPM's. Mark
Old 07-24-2006, 02:55 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

i dont know pypes isnt a very well known name i would never buy from them

Quick Reply: PYPES exhaust anyone?