4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:10 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default Lowering springs?

Can I just replace the springs without doing the rear control arms for now?[&:] I really want to lower my car. Im so sick of the 4x4 look. For those that know about lowering, what do you suggest I do? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:21 PM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Lowering springs?

you can do the springs without modifying the lca's. However depending on what spring drop you do if you go lower than 1.5" I would reccomend you get caster camber plates. Either way you will need a good alignment for the front when your done to be on the safe side. The other rear suspension mods can wait till you have money etc and its all a matter of what you intend to do with your car dd, track etc.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:45 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Cool. Thanks. What about my shocks? Can I keep them or do I need get different ones? Also, will I have any issues with the pinion angle?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

u dont need any other mods when getting a drop in 1.5" but if u go lower than that than cc plates is a must =)
Old 07-24-2006, 12:25 AM
sitnlopro99gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

Cool. Thanks. What about my shocks? Can I keep them or do I need get different ones? Also, will I have any issues with the pinion angle?
It depends on the drop more than 1.5 is going to be pretty stiff but in all cases getting struts and shocks will improve ride quality and handling. Should not have any issues with pinion angle, if your worried about it you can do a bump steer kit ofor a few more bucks its all up to you
Old 07-24-2006, 12:35 AM
stangy004
2nd Gear Member

i dropped mine a inch and a half with eibach spring kit all around . thing rides sweet didnt have to get a alighnment or anything no wear on the tires either the 2 inch drop looks way better tho wish i did that but u will probably need caster plates and ****
Old 07-24-2006, 01:38 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Allright. I think i`m gonna go with the 1.5 drop. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Heres the springs I think i`m gonna go with. How hard will they be to install?
http://mustangtuning.com/eibach-pro-...-04-coupe.html
Old 07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure why people continue to preach that you DON'T need new struts/shocks when you do Upgraded springs..

Not only is it incorrect, since the original struts/shocks are valved to go at stock height, the vast majority of times, the shocks will blow out for several reasons, shortly after installation. Between a higher spring rate, less suspension travel and more than likely, a more aggressive driving approach will yield some potentially dangerous results..

Sure you don't HAVE to change them, but why risk it?? Also, would you rather do the work twice, or 3 times, or all at once??

Have fun...

JT
Old 07-24-2006, 12:32 PM
hot wheels
4th Gear Member

+1
ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

I'm not sure why people continue to preach that you DON'T need new struts/shocks when you do Upgraded springs..

Not only is it incorrect, since the original struts/shocks are valved to go at stock height, the vast majority of times, the shocks will blow out for several reasons, shortly after installation. Between a higher spring rate, less suspension travel and more than likely, a more aggressive driving approach will yield some potentially dangerous results..

Sure you don't HAVE to change them, but why risk it?? Also, would you rather do the work twice, or 3 times, or all at once??

Have fun...

JT

Quick Reply: Lowering springs?