4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Underdrive Pulleys or Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
YouGiveMeRash!!!
2nd Gear Member

Default Underdrive Pulleys or Intake?

Ok....I was just about to click my mouse to order an intake and it's going to cost me about $160 for the intake (K&N w/ carb exempt sticker), BUT I noticed that Steeda Underdrive Pulleys are the same price.

Which would be the better mod to go with first? [:@] I'm running the stock air tube with a K&N drop in filter right now.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:44 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Underdrive Pulleys or Intake?

I would get the pulleys first.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:20 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

I would get the pulleys first.
Correct... The pulleys will give you a more noticeable feel over the intake.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YouGiveMeRash!!!Ok....I was just about to click my mouse to order an intake and it's going to cost me about $160 for the intake (K&N w/ carb exempt sticker), BUT I noticed that Steeda Underdrive Pulleys are the same price.Which would be the better mod to go with first? [:@] I'm running the stock air tube with a K&N drop in filter right now.
Who has the steeda's for $160.? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:09 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

get the pullies save the other 160 and buy something else... CAI almost worthless...... again summit has the intake goes to the bumper check into that... hardware 119./.. or ebay CAI for 40-60 shipped there all about the same.... maybe upgrade to K N filter
Old 07-25-2006, 12:14 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Since you have the K&N air filter, get the pulleys first.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:15 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

CAI are good combined with a tune, a good tune. Pulleys will free up around 6-8rwhp, same as a CAI without a tune. They actually both add equal amount of power, even though people here may disagree with me, but regardless you're probably not going to feel the extra power to much... maybe a lil bit. The key factor is this. Will you have to have the pulleys installed? Which I was told would be about 80 bucks. The pulleys aren't the easiest thing to install actually, I learned the hard way, haha. They're easy if you have the right tools. CAI is a easy home project for even someone that's tool retarded like myself. Ever thought about a Short Throw instead of the latter? it's about the same money and it's an easy home project like the CAI. The short throw (atleast for me) cut some time off of just because i shift so much faster then what i did with the stock shifter.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:16 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Steeda has em for 179.95... I got mine on Ebay for like 90 bucks :O... everything came included, and the pulleys while used where in great shape.
ORIGINAL: sweet99

ORIGINAL: YouGiveMeRash!!!Ok....I was just about to click my mouse to order an intake and it's going to cost me about $160 for the intake (K&N w/ carb exempt sticker), BUT I noticed that Steeda Underdrive Pulleys are the same price.Which would be the better mod to go with first? [:@] I'm running the stock air tube with a K&N drop in filter right now.
Who has the steeda's for $160.? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2006, 12:18 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

so whats the best way to tune your CAI... i have diablosport.... get dyno tuned??? right now i have there tune with timing up 10% and rear o2s off, speed limiter off.....
Old 07-25-2006, 12:21 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

If you already have it... I might wait until you get more bolt ons for a Dyno Tune. I know when i got my tune, I had my dealer program it for my CAI.. and I haven't touched it until this saturday when my headers and new midpipe get put on.. Then ill be basically a full bolt on - then im getting the custom tune... thing that sucks, is that I have to spend more money to get it custom tuned for anything i do now because anything else i do will require it

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulleys or Intake?