4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:07 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default clutch ?

This is probably a dumb question, but, hey I ain't the first person to ask a dumb one on here. lol

Is it normal for an '03 GT 5 spd. to make a slightly different noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in and the transmission is not in gear?

There is a very subtle "chattering" sound when the clutch is out and the car is at idle. It completely goes away when the clutch is depressed.

Low miles (5,000) and I have never really beat on it too much.

The car was new in Nov 03 but was "old stock", built in Nov '02. Anything else I should look for?

Are Mustang clutches just noisey or do you think there is a problem like the throwout bearing or input shaft?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:31 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: clutch ?

Sounds like a problem with the throwout bearing. Mine doesnt do it but I've heard one doing it before. When you drive and you press the clutch in does it sound kinda like you're dragging a chain for a split second? If so thats the throwout!
Old 05-27-2004, 04:38 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

hes right, even my stang did that with 3 miles on it. its an inherent problem with virtually all the newer mustangs. Ford wont do anything about it because its not gonna cause any problems. So pretty much you just have to deal with it unless you wanna pull the tranny over a $12.00 part and a little bit of noise.

***edit*** there are no such thing as dumb questions, only dumb answers and people that are too dumb to ask questions
Old 05-28-2004, 04:09 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Ahhhh F**k that sucks man. I knew there was something going on. I was just hoping you guys would tell me that it's normal because the drivetrain is so noisy anyway.

Are you sure it won't do anything?

I'm going to bitch at the dealership...this is bull****.

Thanks for the help...you guys are great.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

This may and may not help, but I've seen a 03 Mustang GT get Pre-delivery inspected by another tech at my shop and the clutch did make a noise like youre saying. Thinking it was a problem with the throwout, he told the service advisor and they warranty'd a clutch, pilot, and throwout bearing. After putting it back together, it still made that noise. So now we dont even think about that noise and just put it on the lot.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:48 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

wow... that sucks. Thank god for the extended premium service plan!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 03:13 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Update - It's in the Dealership for this problem right now.

I just spoke with the service advisor and she said that they had ordered me a new "GT" logo for the driver's side fender because the black paint came off in the car wash and that it was normal for oil to seep out from the pvc valve (is it really?), but the tech is still working on the clutch noise...That leads me to believe that they have acknowledged that there is a problem. She could not tell me what the problem is, but I will let you all know what the outcome is.

Did I mention that I have also noticed a vibration in the clutch pedal between 2000 and 3500 RPM? This vibration is not there when you apply even the slightest pressure to the pedal. It has to be a release bearing, doesn't it?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:21 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

My pcv valve was doing the exact thing and it isnt right! She doesnt know what she is talking about. In fact, mine had a Cobra pcv valve and it was puddeling pretty bad. Tell them they need to fix it!
Old 06-01-2004, 04:14 PM
OldBob

MikeHawke,

I have a similar situation with the gearbox noise. In neutral, clutch not engaged, there's gearbox noise because the transmission is engaged and some of the gears are spinning, though not to the driveshaft, and making noise. When the clutch is depressed, the transmission is disengaged and the gears are not spinning, therefore not making noise. Mine wasn't noticable until I had a Pro 5.0 shifter installed (yeah, I'm the guy that's been bitchin' about the Pro 5.0). Apparently the standard shifter has a rubber mounting of some sort that insulates most of the noise from the cabin.

Bottom line is the noise is probably not a problem - it's "normal".
Old 06-01-2004, 04:20 PM
04mustang
3rd Gear Member

dam mustang trannys. gonna have to start saving to get a new one in the future i guess.
hell if im gonna let ford put another shi* box in my car. im getting a suped up one if i ever have to switch

Quick Reply: clutch ?