4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what kinda nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 AM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

Default what kinda nitrous?

i was lookin to put a nitrous setup on my car. Maybe like 75 shot? Does that sound like a safe amount and whats one of the better kits out there that isnt too exspensive
Old 07-31-2006, 01:33 AM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what kinda nitrous?

I would also like to know this. What would be a safe shot to use maybe once a month or so? I figured around 75.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:35 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

75 is safe with stock timing and stock plugs... I'm assuming with a wet kit, also. Get Zex.

If you want 100, get one heat range colder plugs, and back your timing down two degrees... for 125 shot, do another two degrees on top of that... otherwise you will be set to go.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:37 AM
sstang
5th Gear Member

When not using nitrous, does backing the timing down make you lose power?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:43 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Yes. Will also slightly hurt fuel economy... but for moving it back only 4 degrees, both of these will be minor.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:59 AM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

can u olny adjust the timming if u have one of those hand held programmers.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:01 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

Your motor will love a 75 shot. You can spray it daily and itll hold up fine as long as its getting fuel. I would say the best company for nitrous is NOS. Theyve been in the business forever and believe me it shows in the quality of their parts. i am on nitrous express right now an its also VERY high quality, but I like NOS brand fittings, lines, bottles, guages, pretty much everything just a little better than NX. I am using an NX plate, but im about to change my solenoids, supply line, and bottle all to NOS. You can find theyre parts pretty much anywhere and for cheap. You will be more likely to find used NOS parts on ebay because so many people use it. I know this other guy like the Zex kit, but lemme tell you NOS is 168459473 times better. Zex is just out to make money. Their parts are cheap and made in afganistan or somewhere. They use the whole "Active fuel Monitoring" thing as a marketing ploy to lead in 1st time nitrous users who are looking for the "Majic n20 kit" that pretty much tunes itself. No it doesnt do that! I could go on all day but Ill just say go with either NX or NOS.......

Also you do not need to back your timing down for a 75 shot. Especially if you are using a kit that has power ratings at the flywheel. Ive been on an NX 100 shot for 2 years now on stock timing. These motors run pretty retarded already from the factory.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:14 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten

Your motor will love a 75 shot. You can spray it daily and itll hold up fine as long as its getting fuel. I would say the best company for nitrous is NOS. Theyve been in the business forever and believe me it shows in the quality of their parts. i am on nitrous express right now an its also VERY high quality, but I like NOS brand fittings, lines, bottles, guages, pretty much everything just a little better than NX. I am using an NX plate, but im about to change my solenoids, supply line, and bottle all to NOS. You can find theyre parts pretty much anywhere and for cheap. You will be more likely to find used NOS parts on ebay because so many people use it. I know this other guy like the Zex kit, but lemme tell you NOS is 168459473 times better. Zex is just out to make money. Their parts are cheap and made in afganistan or somewhere. They use the whole "Active fuel Monitoring" thing as a marketing ploy to lead in 1st time nitrous users who are looking for the "Majic n20 kit" that pretty much tunes itself. No it doesnt do that! I could go on all day but Ill just say go with either NX or NOS.......

Also you do not need to back your timing down for a 75 shot. Especially if you are using a kit that has power ratings at the flywheel. Ive been on an NX 100 shot for 2 years now on stock timing. These motors run pretty retarded already from the factory.
Hey man, I have a 93 octane tune on my 03 gt, what should I bump my timing down to with a nx 100 shot??
Old 07-31-2006, 03:11 AM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

Hey man, I have a 93 octane tune on my 03 gt, what should I bump my timing down to with a nx 100 shot??

With 91 octane you should probably back it down 2 degrees, so with 93 I think 1 degree would be fine or you could just go ahead and back it down 2 degrees for that extra safety if you spray alot. I dont really spray alot, I may spray the car all one week and go another 2 weeks without spraying at all. So it runs good on my stock timing like that with 93 octane and NGK TR6 plugs (1 step colder). Has your car been tuned or has a chip installed? If it does, then youll need to back your timing down even more than you normally would so I would just have it re-tuned or go back to stock.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:22 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

I couldn't help love that line haha

anyway go nitrous [8D][8D]

Quick Reply: what kinda nitrous?