4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what exactly does gear whine sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

Default what exactly does gear whine sound like?

just got them in today frpp 3.73s and i was driving them home listening for gear whine, but i wasnt sure what exactly to look for, is it extremely noticable with the windows down? or do you only knotice it if your really looking for it? is it only audiable when your giving it gas, or is it any time the car is moving?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Chris080486
1st Gear Member

Default RE: what exactly does gear whine sound like?

I would like to know as well because I haven't had my gears in very long and I was trying to listen for gear whining as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:06 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

you will know it if you got it. you will mainly notice it cruising. acceleration and deceleration wont be as bad. normally around 40-45 will be the worst if you do have gear whine
I have gear whine from 35 on up dont notice it after 75. worst at 40

Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

buuump
Old 08-02-2006, 11:39 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

It's a sort of "whirring," or "howling," sound. It's hard to characterize on the internet w/ out being able to capture it in an audio form..

It's speed dependent too, so as your speed increases, the noise will become more pronounced.

JT
Old 08-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Canzokid
1st Gear Member

How do you make it go away? I just got gears last week and mine make that sound at 40mph too.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:03 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CanzokidHow do you make it go away? I just got gears last week and mine make that sound at 40mph too.
Mine have a bit of whine from 40-50mph just cruising. Give it throttle and it goes away. If you did not use 75W-140 you could try that. I added posi additive even with MOBIL 1 synthetic gear oil on the recommendation of Brenspeed. Mine is a slight whine and if I didn't tell a rider they would probably not hear it. The only way to make it go away is to change the gearset. If it bothers you that much or is so loud that it affects normal levels of conversation that is what is needed. My mechanic said if I was unhappy with mine to get a set of Auburn, etc. gears and he would change them. If it got better I paid for the installation again. If it still whined he would not charge me. I have no problem with mine. My exhaust is more annoying! mark
Old 08-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Bmrb0y96
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

It's a sort of "whirring," or "howling," sound. It's hard to characterize on the internet w/ out being able to capture it in an audio form..

It's speed dependent too, so as your speed increases, the noise will become more pronounced.

JT
yeppers
Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

You can't really make it go away. You CAN have your rear end rebuilt, w/ new gears, since the sound USUALLY comes from improper wear, or incorrect shimming... Sort of expensive, but it can be done..

I have though, heard that a lot of people get some appreciable gear noise no matter what gears they put in. Maybe it's the nature of the beast...

My father had mentioned this stuff called "Bardo." I think that's the name. He said a lot of the old Muscle car guys would put it in the rear diff. to quiet the gears, especially when they were pushing some real HP/TQ. It doesn't do much, but insulate the mating surfaces, and cuts down on harmonic vibrations.

JT
Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CanzokidHow do you make it go away? I just got gears last week and mine make that sound at 40mph too.
Mine have a bit of whine from 40-50mph just cruising. Give it throttle and it goes away. If you did not use 75W-140 you could try that. I added posi additive even with MOBIL 1 synthetic gear oil on the recommendation of Brenspeed. Mine is a slight whine and if I didn't tell a rider they would probably not hear it. The only way to make it go away is to change the gearset. If it bothers you that much or is so loud that it affects normal levels of conversation that is what is needed. My mechanic said if I was unhappy with mine to get a set of Auburn, etc. gears and he would change them. If it got better I paid for the installation again. If it still whined he would not charge me. I have no problem with mine. My exhaust is more annoying! mark

Quick Reply: what exactly does gear whine sound like?