4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PYPES exhaust system-first impression

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default PYPES exhaust system-first impression

To start with I got my catted X-pipe from RPMoutlet for only $249. excellent price! Brenspeed had PYPES catbacks for $299. but had to take the VIOLATOR mufflers which on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the loudest PYPES rates them at a 9/10. I deceided to go for the optional Race Pro mufflers which are like a Magnaflow muffler-straight thru with perforated steel tubing and a steel mesh around it to help quiet it. It is rated at a 7. This changed the part # to one that is not carried by the popular vendors advertising here but Brent at Brenspeed gave me a 10% discount from the PYPES list of $369. and took care of the shipping, cool guy! The PYPES site is misleading as they show polished mufflers even when talking about options and I even doubt my mufflers are made from stainless as a magnet grabs it really well and magnets and stainless do not hold. Cheaper grades of stainless will hold a magnet but not 100% like these mufflers do. Still I wanted quieter mufflers. Also RPMOUTLET is selling polished stainless PYPES catbacks for $369-$389. I understand PYPES is going to stainless piping completely from China instead of the Canadian pipes I got. Seems I got a discontinued material at regular price.
Installation was without any major issues except the shop needed to relocate the hangers that were welded to the end of the tailpipes. The system has a deep sound and is OK except around 2000rpm's it has a loud drone under partial accelleration. Once my automatic shifts into OD it's quite quiet while cruising. For me the Violator would without doubt be too loud though it seems most like the loud systems as that is what the vendors are carrying.
The RPMOUTLET and BRENSPEED rate high for price and customer service here and the system is of decent quality however PYPES did not match the vendors of their product for price or cutomer service.
I will follow up with any performance increases and gas mileage increases as I get some miles with this PYPES system. If you are looking for a system at a good price and can stand or want a loud system I would recommend PYPES as bought through RPM & BRENSPEED. Mark
Old 08-02-2006, 12:11 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: PYPES exhaust system-first impression

Brent @ Brenspeed.com is an awesome guy. Willing to do whatever it takes to please his customers and is very smart!!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:39 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRABrent @ Brenspeed.com is an awesome guy. Willing to do whatever it takes to please his customers and is very smart!!
Yes indeed. He was not a bit condescending and as you said Dan he will do whatever is within his means to satisfy the customer. I felt he would have taken more off the price when I metioned that PYPES was charging full price to a big customer(Brenspeed) for a muffler change and steel pipes that Brent said would be obsolete as the vendor supplier for PYPES would be supplying SS piping soon. Mark
Old 08-02-2006, 12:49 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

i was thinking about getting a pypes system but i didnt know how it would sound. any sound clips?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmosti was thinking about getting a pypes system but i didnt know how it would sound. any sound clips?
I am not sure I can get sound. I will have to ask some of the people I know how to do so. I'm not sure if RPMOUTLET was discounting the x-pipes due to the new SS piping that is probably now available but $249. for a catted X-pipe was a good deal I thought. Catback would be similar to a Magnaflow catback as the muffler was a take off of the Magnaflow design. That drone at 2K rpm under anything but the lightest accelleration was the only thing I don't care for.