4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

threw it in first instead of 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

Default threw it in first instead of 3rd

so i raced a car the other day, and while trying to shift into third real fast i hit first instead. now my question is, do u think i fuked ne thing up? it runs fine, first gear seems fine, no grinding, its not hard at all to put in gear. but i thought there was a device that kept u from puttin ur car in first above like 30mph. and im afraid i might have broken this device. my friend broke his pressure plate, i think he said, from putting it in first while going to fast.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default RE: threw it in first instead of 3rd

I wouldnt be worried about you transmission. I would be worried about your engine. Thats like over revving your motor and your motor cant do anything about it. When you floor it and hit the redline, the fuel is cut off and the revs stay bellow a preset amount. When you down shift your mechanically over revving your motor from the spped which your driving at. I hope you dont go to far past redline. You could basicly down**** in first like you did and over rev your motor till it blows. How high did it rev up too?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:27 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

i did the same thing except 4 i was in my dads 911c4s she redlinded all the way up, i guess its bad to go from 60 into 1st.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:28 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

If it still runs fine you probably didnt hurt it. Listen for any new sounds that might be coming from the trans. Mine will go into any gear anytime I want, so i dont think theres anything keeping it from going into first at any speed. I would be more worried about over reving the motor when you did that, but if it still runs fine i would just be more careful next time.

You might want to consider an aftermarket spring loaded shifter. It moves the shifter to the right automatically when you shift from second to third so you dont have that problem of going into first like you did.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:30 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

I wouldnt be worried about you transmission. I would be worried about your engine. Thats like over revving your motor and your motor cant do anything about it. When you floor it and hit the redline, the fuel is cut off and the revs stay bellow a preset amount. When you down shift your mechanically over revving your motor from the spped which your driving at. I hope you dont go to far past redline. You could basicly down**** in first like you did and over rev your motor till it blows. How high did it rev up too?
1.well, when i WOT, i get a couple 100 rpm's from redline and shift, i never go past redline.

2. do u mean how far did it redline when i put it in 1st, or what rpm was i at when i was at the top of second?

if u mean, how high did it rev when i hit first, honestly i wasnt watching that, i immediatly pushed the clutch in and hit the brakes. i would guess almost to the end of the redline [:@]
Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

i know i cant go into first even if im only goin like 10-15 mph. theres like a wall that stops me.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andrewclark

1.well, when i WOT, i get a couple 100 rpm's from redline and shift, i never go past redline.

2. do u mean how far did it redline when i put it in 1st, or what rpm was i at when i was at the top of second?

if u mean, how high did it rev when i hit first, honestly i wasnt watching that, i immediatly pushed the clutch in and hit the brakes. i would guess almost to the end of the redline [:@]
Yeah I ment what rpm was it when you went into 1st.... Dont worry I did it once. I quickly but the clutch in as soon as I felt it slow down. Your probably fine. If you reved past 7000rpm hten I would be worried.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

okay, i think its fine, just trying to be sure. also, did u say its bad to downshift? or is it just bad when u downshift and it redlines while downshifting?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

okay, i think its fine, just trying to be sure. also, did u say its bad to downshift? or is it just bad when u downshift and it redlines while downshifting?
its bad to hit the redline period. if you down shift at a higher speed but dont hit the redline, the only thing you are doin is waisting gas. and you should never shift into first while you are even just movin 10mph. i think it has somthing to do with your synchros. because if i try all i haer is a whining sound. and i think its in your owners manual.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I down shift all the time. Its just bad to downshift unexpectantly like you did. The fear is to over rev it. Because there is no rev-limiter when you downshift. You can rev it to 12000rpm or more... if you wanted too.

Quick Reply: threw it in first instead of 3rd