4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Service Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 09:15 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Service Engine Light

Yeah, I know. I was already planning on plugs and wires...I will have to do some research on cleaning the iac and testing the tps though. I'm not gonna shoot straight for the dealer regardless, unless the problem becomes severe, and at this point it is not.

If I get plugs though, I will probably go ahead with wires. It seems like most on here run Ford Racing wires, is there that much difference between them and most other wires? If I can get by without spending $80 on wires I'd like to.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:10 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

no wires... coil on packs.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:20 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

Coil on PLUG would be correct... I do believe they started putting the COP ignition on the GT's mid-01 as one of their many other changes.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:41 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

all i read was ur first post..didnt read anyone elses..cuz im lazy and just got off work..but yea welcome to life..it always seems to work out like that lol.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

ORIGINAL: ackuric

Coil on PLUG would be correct... I do believe they started putting the COP ignition on the GT's mid-01 as one of their many other changes.

So do the coils have to be changed like regular wires?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:23 AM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

i dont know about your car, but on my mach if the gas cap is not on all the way it will make the check engine light come on. Just a thought.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:25 AM
0hOneGT
3rd Gear Member

Sorry this is pretty off-topic but don't you hate how bright those lights are? Even the low fuel light is so annoyingly bright IMO that I'm looking to get gas 10 seconds after it goes off...or is that the whole point
Old 08-06-2006, 06:44 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99mustang0

i dont know about your car, but on my mach if the gas cap is not on all the way it will make the check engine light come on. Just a thought.

I thought about that, but haven't got as far as to check to see if the cap is tight, so it is a possibility. That wouldn't explain the odd idling though...after a little while researching the IAC that sure sounds like the culprit. I haven't noticed any difference in acceleration or power, only the slight rise and fall of RPMs when idling, and at times a slightly rough idle. I'm gonna clean her out tomorrow and see how she does.

BTW, will a dirty IAC throw a service engine light? That is one thing that I haven't seen mentioned here.

While I'm at AutoZone tomorrow, I think I am going to go ahead and pick up some new spark plugs also, it couldn't hurt at all. With no sp wires, is there anything else I should grab while I am there? PVC valve and fuel filter perhaps? Anything else?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:34 AM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

get a K&N air filter. Best investment you can make. If you keep buying those crappy paper filters every 3,000 miles then you will have more money in filters then buying a K&N. And the paper filters don't breathe nearly as good.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
josh4rim
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: haus408

ORIGINAL: 99mustang0

I thought about that, but haven't got as far as to check to see if the cap is tight, so it is a possibility. That wouldn't explain the odd idling though...after a little while researching the IAC that sure sounds like the culprit. I haven't noticed any difference in acceleration or power, only the slight rise and fall of RPMs when idling, and at times a slightly rough idle. I'm gonna clean her out tomorrow and see how she does.

BTW, will a dirty IAC throw a service engine light? That is one thing that I haven't seen mentioned here.

While I'm at AutoZone tomorrow, I think I am going to go ahead and pick up some new spark plugs also, it couldn't hurt at all. With no sp wires, is there anything else I should grab while I am there? PVC valve and fuel filter perhaps? Anything else?
I have never heard the iac throwing an engine light. Usually it will cause the car to idle really low and if it gets stuck it will cause the rpms to drop out. Here is more info. Including how to clean it.

https://mustangforums.com/m_587901/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light