4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Service Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:53 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default Service Engine Light

I promise, I searched for this, at least briefly, and didn't find out anything.

Anyway, I filled up with gas today and drove about thirty miles to the tire shop. After my car was done at the shop, I started it in their parking lot and sat there idling for a minute while I was checking my cell phone. The RPM's started bouncing a little...it never started to die or anything, went from around 600-900 RPM's, if I remember right. Note, my AC was off. Well, I noticed the same thing happening at a couple of different stop lights on the way home...again, nothing bad, but slightly noticeable. When I got nearly home my Service Engine Light came on.

Two questions: The likelyhood of bad gas? Seems to me like the drive to the shop was plenty time for 9 gallons of dirty gas to circulate throughout the engine and start screwing with it. Second question, if it continues after a bottle of heat or other gas treatment, how do I check the computer's codes? Must I have a tuner(?), cause I don't.

[:'(] I swear, you get one problem solved and before you even get home another one presents it's self.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:56 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Service Engine Light

No one?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:25 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

what did you get done to it at that shop?

you're leaving too many blanks for a solid response.

i personally wouldnt of even made it home, i would be back at that shop saying uhhhhhh, wtf?

not to place blame but, bad gas throwing a cel? hah would have to be horrrrrible gas. and it cant be much of a coincidence that you got this problem after taking it to the shop, which we dont know what for.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:41 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

My 03 GT did that same thing. I got the car with 30k miles on it, at about 32k I'm running a race one night and the service engine light comes on. No problems at all, but the same symptoms as you described happened to my car. Since it was under warranty, I brought it to the Ford dealership where I got the car. Turns out it needed a "tuneup" which consisted of cleaning the injectors, throttle body, plenum, flushing the fuel system, etc. It cost me 700 bux outta pocket cause its considered "regular maintenance" so its not covered under my extended warranty.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

A fluctuating idle is cause by vacuum leaks and air filter being clogged would be the most common reasons why, there are other reasons it could be fluctuating though. Check those. I know autozone scans trouble codes for free, if you have one in yoru area go there and ask them to scan your computer. they will give you a trouble code and then you will have to look it up in like a haynes repair manual. Other auto stores may do this too, check them out.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:07 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

you could go down to auto zone or advanced auto or w/e and see if your throwing any codes.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:17 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

what did you get done to it at that shop?

you're leaving too many blanks for a solid response.

i personally wouldnt of even made it home, i would be back at that shop saying uhhhhhh, wtf?

not to place blame but, bad gas throwing a cel? hah would have to be horrrrrible gas. and it cant be much of a coincidence that you got this problem after taking it to the shop, which we dont know what for.
I only had tires put on at the shop, not much they could have done

The car now has 61K miles, and after only having it for about six weeks, I have no clue as to the service history. I do know that I need to get to tuning her up, and as soon as I can get the tranny fluid/cooling system flushed, as long as cleaning injectors and everything else. [:@] Thats a long to do list...putting me a few steps further away from the performance mods...[&o]

Old 08-05-2006, 08:22 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Yea it cost me 700 bux outta my pocket for my car to get a complete tune up at Ford.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:00 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Great...coincidentally though my girlfriend just had hers done yesterday, her mom's boyfriend works at the local Dealership. He flushed her tranny and coolant for $100 after hours. Maybe he'll give me a deal too...I hope.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:07 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

personally i would do a fuel filter, and spark plug change, and maybe throw in some injector cleaner. clean your iac, test your tps, and go from there. if its still not cleared up, then go to the dealer.

all of the above you can easily do on your own with a few tools and a lil research.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Light