4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Diablo MAFIA questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

Default Diablo MAFIA questions....

Hey all I am considering buying one of these mafias for my GT. As of right now it has a P1 SC with a custom tuned Diablo Chip, and Stock MAF. Its not pegging at the moment but I know it is dangerously close, and the fact that I live at almost 7K feet might have something to do with it working and not pegging with the stock MAF for now. Anyways I really don't want to fork out the money for a new tune once I return to KS, (all use SCT software there) so to save money I was wondering if I was to get a MAfia and set it at 3 (or what setting you guys would recommend)- if it would work without any further tuning. Of course I would still have a a/f monitored dyno run shortly after the install to insure everything is fine. Just looking for some info on these things as i'm not extremely knowledgeable about them yet. Thanks
Old 08-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Diablo MAFIA questions....

bump...need info here guys
Old 08-05-2006, 01:38 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I think it is a horrible idea to upgrade your MAF without at least checking it on a dyno. More than likely you are going to need a retune.

90 mm Lightning MAF FTW!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:42 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

The instructions for setting the MAFia, if I remember right, go as follows... they say start it on the #1 setting, do a dyno run, watch your MAF voltage, if it pegs, stop the run, set the MAFia up to 2... repeat run... and just keep doing this till you hit a point where your MAF isn't pegging it's voltage through a full pull.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:50 PM
DROES99STANG
2nd Gear Member

ok stupid question here. what in the world is a MAFIA???? besides the soprano type!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:52 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DROES99STANG

ok stupid question here. what in the world is a MAFIA???? besides the soprano type!
DiabloSport makes this handy little box you plug in-line with your MAF that will stop the ECU from seeing a maxed out voltage, so it gets an accurate reading of how much air is going through... of course when you change the setting on it, you need to adapt the fuel curves to be more rich to come out with the same A/F ratio.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

Well I happen to have a 90mm Lightning MAF setting in my garage but havnt figured a way to adapt it to the ATI tubing. It is already calibrated for 42lbs and has been ran with a Diablo chip, but how in the heck to I get it to fit in place of the stocker? All help is much appriciated! Also I have a Wideband sensor so I can tell- to a certain extent what the a/f is like.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:11 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

I can't help you with fitment issues... When you change the setting on the MAFia you can expect your A/F ratio to become more lean because the MAFia lessens the signal coming from the MAF. The ECU will think there is less air coming in. To counter this, you add more fuel for the air it thinks is coming in and you can still end up with a correct A/F ratio.

Try calling ATI (will probably have to be monday) and ask if there is a way to fit the lightning MAF on there.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:31 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Machwon

Well I happen to have a 90mm Lightning MAF setting in my garage but havnt figured a way to adapt it to the ATI tubing. It is already calibrated for 42lbs and has been ran with a Diablo chip, but how in the heck to I get it to fit in place of the stocker? All help is much appriciated! Also I have a Wideband sensor so I can tell- to a certain extent what the a/f is like.
I dont' mean to hijack the thread, but will a wideband sensor work with the stock computer without throwing a code? In the future I want to S/C the car and add a A/F meter. I'm told that wideband is the best way to monitor A/F in conjunction with the gauge. So, will it work with the stock computer and wiring? If not, how in the hell do you make everything work?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:14 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT
I dont' mean to hijack the thread, but will a wideband sensor work with the stock computer without throwing a code? In the future I want to S/C the car and add a A/F meter. I'm told that wideband is the best way to monitor A/F in conjunction with the gauge. So, will it work with the stock computer and wiring? If not, how in the hell do you make everything work?
Tap your wideband O2 in somewhere else, leave the factory narrowband oxygen sensors hooked up to the ECU... the wideband is totally separate from any of the car's other systems. Just wire the wideband up to your new A/F meter.

Quick Reply: Diablo MAFIA questions....