4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ALARM, DOES IT HAVE ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:42 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default ALARM, DOES IT HAVE ONE?

When I park the car there is a red flashing "theft" in the dash but I don't know if it has an alarm and if it does how to set it. Usually I had other cars and if locked with the key and if I reached in and unlocked the door it would activate it, nothing here. Anyone? It's a '99 GT.
Sorry but it didn't come with an owner's manual. I'll have to get to the dealer and but one, heh?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:51 PM
four-sixer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ALARM, DOES IT HAVE ONE?

yeah, I think mine has that as well. Is it embedded in the dash in the far left corner? I think thats an alarm but Im not quite sure. I'm getting an alarm and kill switch installed anyway but Id be intersted in finding out what that light is
Old 08-05-2006, 08:25 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

The little thing embedded in your dash that blinks is the Ford factory "passive anti-theft"system that is part of your car. All that is, is a module in your cars computer that is programmed to only start if it recognized a key from your car in it. Factory, your car has 2 keys, Inside the keys is a computer chip with your VIN number programmed into it. The anti theft system will only allow the car to start if it recognizes a key that is programmed with your VIN number in it. The "theft" light flashes letting you know its running behind the scenes so to speak.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:29 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

It is the word THEFT and is in with the other words and symbols that light up when starting the car. However it flashes when the key is out and the car is parked. Anyone know if this is a sign that this car has a factory alarm and if so how to activate and deactivate it? Thanks, mark
Old 08-05-2006, 08:32 PM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

That's normal. You have an alarm.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:36 PM
alfromcal846
2nd Gear Member

its not really an alarm because if someone busts open your car window an alarm wont go off. All it does is it makes sure all doors are locked and closed right and that fords anti-theft system is working. This meaning someone wont be able to start your car without the coded key.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:39 PM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alfromcal846

its not really an alarm because if someone busts open your car window an alarm wont go off. All it does is it makes sure all doors are locked and closed right and that fords anti-theft system is working. This meaning someone wont be able to start your car without the coded key.

Not true. When someone threw a damn thirty pound rock through my back window the alarm went off, but quit alarming once the car quit moving.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:46 PM
red96gtconvtbl
2nd Gear Member

An unrecognized key WILL indeed allow the car to start, but it will die almost immediately and start flashing theft. My dad found that out after making a spare key for my 96 gt.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Flyingmau5
5th Gear Member

u can crank the engine but not be able to start the car... you will need to have a PATS key that's designed for that VIN. I had to go to the Ford dealer to make another PATS key so I could use that for my remote starter.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:13 PM
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member

ive never tried this in my mustang, but my moms explorer, if u sit in that ith the doors locked for a lil while then open em from the inside. it went off, not sure if thats the case here too

Quick Reply: ALARM, DOES IT HAVE ONE?