4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Think this is a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Default Think this is a good deal?

98 Cobra Conv

My brother, who lives next door, is buying this car.. We went and looked at it.. The car is in dam good condition.. Other than minor rock chips the body is perfect.. We estimate that the car it self is worth about $13,000 to $14,000.. The guy clearly has $15,000 in mods.. Thus, if the car w/o mods is worth $13,000 and he has $15,000 in mods its a pretty good deal for $16,500..

We drove it and the engine is strong, the tranny shifted perfect and there wasn't a spec of fluids on the ground where he had it parked..

Do you think its a good deal?

P.S. What is 31 spline axles, Auburn Pro diff.? What does it do and what do you think it cost to buy and have installed?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:36 PM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Think this is a good deal?

Just stronger axles....for example on mine thier a 28 spline. Their just for cars with more power so if you put slicks on there and go to the track you dont break an axle!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:58 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

man it really bugs me when people have supercharged cobras or the equivalent nice/desirable car and they don't know sh*t about it..."what are axles and aubrun diffs???"..............you shouldn't have that car

edit: and learn how to f*ckin post a link...i'm tired of people making me scroll 3 feet to the right to see what they said....you know when you post a link you put the URL (the longass link) and THEN it gives you a TITLE choice...that doesn't HAVE to be the actual link...you can make it say.....for example "cars.com"...but the link when you click on it will be "http://sfhlksjfhldksfjhskldjfhklsdfjhsdkfjhskfjhskudfhksf hksdjfhksjdfh.com"!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 02:39 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred38

man it really bugs me when people have supercharged cobras or the equivalent nice/desirable car and they don't know sh*t about it..."what are axles and aubrun diffs???"..............you shouldn't have that car

edit: and learn how to f*ckin post a link...i'm tired of people making me scroll 3 feet to the right to see what they said....you know when you post a link you put the URL (the longass link) and THEN it gives you a TITLE choice...that doesn't HAVE to be the actual link...you can make it say.....for example "cars.com"...but the link when you click on it will be "http://sfhlksjfhldksfjhskldjfhklsdfjhsdkfjhskfjhskudfhksf hksdjfhksjdfh.com"!!!!!!!!!!!!
wow easy bud.

dont be a hater
Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
bsteen81
3rd Gear Member

It looks to be a good deal. Why is he selling it though? That water pump might be a problem in the future. Its electric so I dontthink you will be able to tell when it goes unless you see smoke from your engine. They only have a life of like 4000 hours or something like that. I would try and talk him down a bit obviously but if you have that money ready and thats what you want, go for it.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:47 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a great deal to me...
Old 08-08-2006, 02:49 PM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

HMMM, I think the 96-98 Cobras came with only the Forged Crank and I dont see anything about anything else bein forged. Are the Pistons and H-beams forged? If everything is forged the I think its a steal, but if hes still runnin the stock lower end with the KB pushin 500, its kinda iffy.

Yea man (laserred38) calm down a little, maybe thats the first time hes posted a link, and axles, well there uncharted territory not to many people change them, give the guy a break thats why its a forum, so he can ask the questions.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:10 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

lol sorry guys...and mr twiggy...i guess i just got up on the wrong side of the bed...
just dropped of my dog at the vet to have surgery because he has a tumor...
and i'm trying furiously to get into a GT or Cobra and it just isn't working out for me
and then i see someone ask what 31 spline axles are...and they have a SC'd Cobra
just kinda got on my nerves...i did kinda snap though huh? sorry man...but you could
have found that info out from google

edit: (i actually found the edit button all the way over THERE....lol)

at least he knows how to post a link now though
Old 08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

Ouch that is a bad day, well I hope everything goes well with ur dog and with gettin a new stang.

at least he knows how to post a link now though
^HAHA, true that^
Old 08-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

Sorry Laser,

I started the post and was in the middle of setting up the link but the wife over rided me and made me go to the store w/ her.. Its fixed..

As far as me not knowing stuff about cars.. I am guilty.. I know how to buy a car and know how to call shops and ask them what parts I should get to make my car go fast.. I then know how to drop off the car and use a credit card..

Ohhhhh ya, I was talking to the shop installing my Procharger and was asking questions about Kenny Bells.. The guy selling this car said he mixes his fuel to make sure he has at least 104 octane in the car to prevent detination (sp).. So, I asked the shop this and they said KBs are famous for running hot because they are not intercooled and the octane helps..

I'm sure KBs are nice but maybe their not all people say they are? Meaning they are not w/o their own problems? What do you think?

Quick Reply: Think this is a good deal?