4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Racing seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 PM
movalstang

Default Racing seats

Im putting in some racing seats in my mustang but i dont have a cage or anything what can i hook the harness up to. I found this picture is it normal to have it hooked to the seat it self.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:43 PM
98HossGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Racing seats

i'm not to sure how many states that is legal in for a street car, i think 0 but i could be wrong, anyways yes if you don't have a roll cage that is how you have to do it
Old 08-09-2006, 04:50 PM
04 40th gt
1st Gear Member

I thought that most harnesses give you enough room to bolt it to the floor board. Sat where the seat mounts? I could be wrong. I have always seen harness bars in two seater cars..
Old 08-09-2006, 05:07 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I have corbeau seats in mine with the bolt harness, these just bolt between your floor and the bracket for the seats
Old 08-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

whow. no way!! You cant hook your shoulder straps to the floor boards. Because if you get into an accident, you go foward and the shoulder harnesses cause your torso to compress downward. You can get serious spinal injury because of that. Dont do that.. If you dont want to get a roll bar get this harness bar from Sparco. http://www.sparcousa.com/harness_bars.asp

Heres the install instructions for a 94-04 mustang. http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/49.pdf

Also what kind of seat did you buy? I have a Recaro SPG-XL racing shell in mine. I havent put a harness in yet because I dont want to get that harness bar. I want to get a roll bar from Auto power. But now I see Agent 47 sells a real nice roll bar that I want. Also the 2" harness are street legal, the 3" harness are not legal for the street.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:37 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

i dont understand why people want to put these seats in their car? I guess they are running 10s in the 1/4
Old 08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
StangChik
3rd Gear Member

I like the way that harness bar looks, but my car will never be fast enought for that...
Old 08-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

i dont understand why people want to put these seats in their car? I guess they are running 10s in the 1/4
I am not one for drag racing. I dont care for it.. I bought my seats so It could hold me around a corner at a "G". In my stock seats I would have to brace myself with an elbow and calf against the center console even at .50 of a "G" This way now I can keep both hands and legs free to do everything to control my car and I can conscentrait on driving and not keeping me from flopping around in my car.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangChris04

that's because people that visit this site don't realize you can make a mustang to take corners fast too lol....all just 1/4 mile junkies. For the 1/4 mile you could use two pieces of plywood for a seat....only force you have is to the rear anyway lol
Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I've seen folks use the rear seat belt anchor locations on some cars.. Problem is, I don't think there's enough extra slack in adjustment on most harnesses to reach... Regardless, as Aixtreme mentioned, if you bolt it to the bottom of the seat, you have a better chance of seriously injuring, if not killing yourself in an accident, than if you were to anchor it in the back..

One of the benefits of putting seats in your car, is they drop a bunch of weight, especially if you have leather, and electronically adjustable seats...

I like them because as Aixtreme also mentioned, the Side bolster keep you firmly planted no matter what. It's like your car is gripping you.... A lot of people dislike them because they can't adjust the seat back..

JT

Quick Reply: Racing seats