4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:03 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch problems

Well a long time ago I made a thread being a noob and didnt know my dad was playing tricks with me the 1st day i was driving my car

97GT convertible 5-speed

The way he was doing it was it seemed like it couldnt burn em and i was worried the clutch was slipping, well that wasnt the case i drove it a while and by the time i was good enough to drive it normally i wasa doing burnouts and etc etc. Then one day i had to go on a detour because of a wreck some guy had and i was stuck on a VERY steep hill and i knew i would either kill the car or roll in the back of someone. I know how to properly drive it now but i smoked the clutch that time like no other imaginable.

Now the clutch is slipping like crazy and sometimes the car will be cruising down the road and then it will all of a sudden slow down immensly and the throttle will not be usable, then it will like pop back into gear and will be driveable again. But that happens rarely. What i was wondering was, is all that the clutch or is that something more sinister.

Also i was in neutral in my driveway not applying the clutch putting my stuff away and the car died on me randomly and that has happened only once and the idle speed seems like it is lower than it used to be when ever i first got the car. I have no clue what could cause that.

But anyway, do shops let you pickout what kindof clutch you can buy and then they install it or do you have to get the clutch kit yourself and bring it with you to the shop?

I'm a car repair newb but not a newb to mustangs so any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-13-2006, 04:16 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch problems

Oh and like usual i have another problem that i forgot to add

my rear right window will only roll down like 1 inch and then it stops, i hate having it up because i look like an idiot driving like that,is there anyway to fix that?
Old 08-13-2006, 04:22 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

well im bumping and asking questions at the same time

what kind of clutch do you think i should get?
Old 08-13-2006, 04:23 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

in your case, ford racing king cobra. I have it and I love it. Most who have it will aggree
Old 08-13-2006, 04:25 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

yeah thats what i have been looking into any answers to my other questions?

also another question

one of my friends said that a racing clutch will probably tear up my tranny cause it did it to his old civic, and i told him that it wouldnt tear it up because his civic was a piece and its tranny was weak in the first place am i right?

Old 08-13-2006, 04:56 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford88

yeah thats what i have been looking into any answers to my other questions?

also another question

one of my friends said that a racing clutch will probably tear up my tranny cause it did it to his old civic, and i told him that it wouldnt tear it up because his civic was a piece and its tranny was weak in the first place am i right?

slap him in the face.

Get a king cobra or a mcleod entry level. You will be happy with either.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:59 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

thats what i was thinking

but do any of you have any answers on the other questions because those are the real important ones to me, and the quicker i get answers the better, its 3am and i have work at 10am today

so i need some sleep but i need assurance for my car
Old 08-13-2006, 05:13 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

king cobra ftw!
Old 08-13-2006, 05:21 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

king cobra ftw!
Bah, I talked to quite few people that had the cobra, and after owning the mcleod I would take it any day over the kc. I really loved that mcleod, but I wasn't about to pay what they want for a clutch that will hold as much WHP as a spec stage 3

There entry level was really reasonable though (price wise). I acutaly just ordered the FRPP upgrade clutch when I got my second T-45, but the shop was out of them and sent me a mcleod for the same price, but in any case I think it was only like 30 bucks more.

BTW, I don't really know what your talking about so far as the " the throttle will not be usable" part, and it sounds like the trans is popping out of gear or something too? Is the engine dying or something?? Its not clear enough by your post to diagnose.

Also, on the window, you will just have to take the door skin off (inside) and see for yourself what is wrong. There could be something off track or something broken jamming it, or hte motor assembly could be messed up, no way to tell without looking.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:42 AM
ford88
2nd Gear Member

well it feels like it pops out of gear but when i press the throttle it doesnt rev like i think it would but the motor is just fine no skips odd sounds and in neutral iv only bounced it off the revlimit like once but for like half a sec

Quick Reply: Clutch problems