4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

best intake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:48 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

Default best intake?

id like to know what would be the best perf. intake manifold to buy, i already have throttle body n plenum bought so
Old 08-13-2006, 04:03 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default RE: best intake?

since you already have a tb/plenum i guess you dont want a serious one like p51. get a pi intake. very good intake. thats why you dont see many people replace them. ford actually did somthing right on this intake. well maybe not, its plastic.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:17 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Has anyone seen results from those typhoon intake manifolds? They claim 20+ hp, but I hear the stock one isnt too bad (except the whole plastic factor) so I don't see too much of a gain.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:19 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

Has anyone seen results from those typhoon intake manifolds? They claim 20+ hp, but I hear the stock one isnt too bad (except the whole plastic factor) so I don't see too much of a gain.
you wont gain anything from them. ive seen two cars get dynoed and gained maybe 1-2 hp. but if you dont have the pi intake now you might as well get the typhoon soo if you ever get nitrous you wont have to worry about a hickup or anything and blowing the **** out of the intake.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:22 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

yeah i was wondering about those typhoon intakes myself. Plus i guess if you have a show car then you can get a chrome typhoon one. But still doesnt look as good as a chromed out blowzilla sitting on there [sm=bling.gif]
Old 08-13-2006, 05:43 PM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

They say the P-51 is the best for N/A applications, while the Bullitt and RR Racing ones are the best for F/I. As for the Typhoon, well nobody knows yet, but uve got the NPI intake so gettin the PI inakte might help u out some.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Everyone always says the P51 intake manifold is the best. But every campairison I see is very misleading. Sure they make an extra 17hp over stock. But I have never seen a compairison with the P51 vs a Accufab upper plenum and TB. I have the "Building 4.6/5.4L Ford Horspower on the dyno" they got 17hp from the addition of the accufab products over stock. So it seems to me they both are the same results. Does anyone know of a comparison of these two? The Fox lake racing website only has a stock vs p51 intake and stock w/vortech supercharger vs with p51.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:02 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I just put the Typhoon intake on my car, the plastic one cracked and was spraying coolant everywhere. As far as the gains go, I didn't put it on a dyno, but it doesn't feel like it gained much if any. However, in the higher RPM's it seems to pull a little harder than before. I'm going to be heading to the 1/4 mile track soon to compare newer times with my prior time (not the best way to do it, I know, but it's the only hard numbers I have) then see what I got by doing the Diablo Tune as well. It is nice to know that I don't have to worry about a ****ty plastic intake cracking on me again though. If I had the $1300 or so it costs for the P-51 I would have went with that one, but the Typhoon is about a third the cost and I'm moddin' on a budget. haha.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:48 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

well if i do PI intake id have to get PI intake heads right??and i want to go w/ more high performance heads than just PI ones..would i have to do the same if i got a typhoon intake?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure that if you go with the PI intake you will want to upgrade the heads at the same time, but not necessarily the PI heads. If I'm not mistaken, the heads were re-worked and that is where most of the added power comes from, that and the new cam they used. So if you go with an aftermarket head/cam setup, you should be even better off. I'm not sure what they offer in the way of aftermarket heads for the 2V, you may be limited to a set of P&P PI heads, but I don't know, haven't done any research on that. Also, when you change your intake, you are going to have taken everything off anyway, and you might as well do the heads at the same time. Otherwise, you'll just be doing the same work twice. Hope this helps, but I'm no expert, so you may want to ask around some more and do some more research on your own.

Quick Reply: best intake?