4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

realistic? turbo a stang

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 03:41 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default realistic? turbo a stang

if you had a guy that could bend all types of custom piping for you. for cheap. would it be realistic to buy all the components for a turbo, have a y pipe custom made, and have the turbo put there?

just curious if anyone knows about that type of setup, if its efficient, and worth it. i'd rather buy the components for the turbo setup seperately, and have some pipe bent up to accomadate it. any opinions, and info would help.

what are other main components for a turbo car besides turbo/intercooler, and fuel component upgrades. thanks.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

Default RE: realistic? turbo a stang

I don't know much but I know hear alot of people running a large single turbo or twin turbo setup in mustangs and laying down crazy numbers... more so than a supercharger in certain instances
Old 08-13-2006, 03:47 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

very realistic. and if you know what your doing, its way cheaper then any turbo kit or supercharger kit. there are tons of choices out there for turbos, plus you can get a really cheap intercooler of ebay, use your stock manifolds for your turbo manifolds, and then just bend the piping and tune. there is aot of fab work though. ive seen people build their own kits for under a grand with stuff just laying arond. then you can get them jet coated and then they look like ****ing sex. you can make them look even better then kits. i wish i had to skills to do it or the *****[:@]
Old 08-13-2006, 03:51 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bharsen
. more so than a supercharger in certain instances
Turbos will ALWAYS make more power than a s/c at the same boost. There is no parasitic loss froma turbo. Youre using a bi-product of the engine (the exhaust,duh) to make power. Rather than a belt that needs to be driven by a pulley and rob power.
-P.
PS: www.turbo-kits.com
Old 08-13-2006, 03:52 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

I wish I had near 7 grand for the HP twin-turbo setup. I've seen some crazy **** from them lol
Old 08-13-2006, 03:59 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

i dont have 7 grand, so thats why i wanna do it myself =O

single turbo though, @ a y pipe.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:12 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

The beautiful thing about turbos is that you dont need to change much to up the boost, or get a manual boost controller and youre off. There was a kits that claimed to make 1000-1900 HP twin turbo setup on a 5.0L.
-P.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:30 PM
axs377
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

if you had a guy that could bend all types of custom piping for you. for cheap. would it be realistic to buy all the components for a turbo, have a y pipe custom made, and have the turbo put there?

just curious if anyone knows about that type of setup, if its efficient, and worth it. i'd rather buy the components for the turbo setup seperately, and have some pipe bent up to accomadate it. any opinions, and info would help.

what are other main components for a turbo car besides turbo/intercooler, and fuel component upgrades. thanks.
Yes it can be done I'm running 4 pounds of boost, take a look at my sig for current numbers. It is a good bit cheaper fabricating it yourself (thats what I sorta did) It still is pretty damn expensive to do it right. My turbo alone was $1100. If your not gonna buy a forged block and upgrade the heads and cams, just buy a S/C kit, it is ALOT less hassle and you can exceed 400rwhp with 10lbs of boost and bolt ons.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:49 PM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

in the new issue of mm&ff had a 96 cobra with a turbo and nitrous 892 rwhp...holy ****!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:54 PM
axs377
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: St4ng07

in the new issue of mm&ff had a 96 cobra with a turbo and nitrous 892 rwhp...holy ****!
At 20-25lbs of boost, which the car will be tuned to eventually I was told to expect some where in the neighborhood of 700-800rwhp, the 2v breathing is really the main problem, 4vs can make much more hp. Had I switched over to a 4v setup I could be pushing 1000 or more. Lesson learned... shoulda bought a cobra.

Quick Reply: realistic? turbo a stang