4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ackuric

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:13 PM
axs377
2nd Gear Member

Default ackuric

This wouldn't fit in a PM so here's my reply
dont mean to bug ya, but since you took the same route, might as well =)

no bother at all.

did you use stock headers, or aftermarket shorties, mid or l/t's.

I purchased headers (shorties) specifically for a turbo.

im just ponderin the thought of flipping the stock shorties, once their ported, but they seem like they are restrictive so i dunno if thats a good idea, unless they will be suitable for 400 hp. did you mount your turbo in the traditional spot, where the air filter usually is? i was thinkin mounting the turbo on the driver side, so it can get intercooled and come out the other side, then to the tb/plenum. any ideas on that?

My turbo is mounted in the traditional spot. Not sure the stock shorties would be that great, but I'm almost certain if you're only looking for 400hp they would be fine. You can have it pass through an intercooler without mounting it on the driver's side as mine is intercooled. I have seen a couple systems setup the way you describe, I think that would work fine it would just be a bit more complicated imo. Your intercooler will just have to be set up right (my inlet and exit holes for piping are both on the same side).

i was outside just taking a look seein how everything would be routed, and damn theres minimal room, =O
so its obviously best to do flipped headers/manifold with most the piping up front, and then back to the exhaust. is that what you did?

Yes, plus you are going to most likely buy a battery relocation kit and fabricate or buy a fender well CAI most likely.

any tips/suggestions will be very appreciated. I'm definitely serious about this, I don't have serious money at the moment, only 500$, but I plan on investing 1,500 into the project with most of the work done by me.

For 1500 I'm not sure how easy this is gonna be. In all honesty your best bet might be buying a used turbo setup off of ebay. My turbo was 1100, intercooler was about 300, piping ran over 1000, and add another 2000 for adjustable wastegate, bolts/clamps, etc. I did not build this setup, my best friend did it for me at a no labor charge. Also I no longer have the stock intake manifold, tb/plenum. I'm sorry I'm not much help, its very hard to explain layouts etc on the web. I do suggest looking at tons of pictures and then beginning fabrication. My buddy bought cheap piping (from ace hardware) and bent it to fit the setup, he then took the piping to an expert and had him fabricate it with the proper piping materials. I'm not saying this can't be done for 1500, but you really get what ya pay for.

This is not what went into my car, but is a complete list of parts from a HP 5.0 turbo kit, but this will give you a good idea of what you need to buy

1 - 60 mm hybrid turbocharger with Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated turbine housing and uncoated* compressor housing.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated driver-side header with band clamp flange.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated passenger-side header with band clamp flange.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated machined turbocharger exhaust housing with band clamp flange.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated crossover tube with waste gate fitting and clamp flanges.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated upper downpipe with band clamp flange.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated lower downpipe with 3 hole exhaust flange.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated mass air to intercooler tube, beaded for hose couplings.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic coated turbocharger to intercooler tube with blow off valve fitting and beads.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated throttle body to mass air meter tube with beads.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated intermediate pipe with bracket.
1 - Jet-Hot® Sterling® ceramic-coated exhaust y-pipe.
1 - 76mm Mass air meter calibrated for injectors.
8 - 42# fuel injectors.
1 - Walbro 255 lph high pressure fuel pump.
1 - 25" x 14" x 3½", 3-row Aluminum custom intercooler assembly.
1 - Intercooler bracket.
1 - Tial 44 mm waste gate.
1 - Turbocharger system waste gate gasket.
1 - 1/8 MPT-1/4 waste gate hose fitting.
2 - 5/16" waste gate bolts.
2 - 5/16" waste gate nuts.
2 - 5/16" Waste gate lock washers.
1 - Billet aluminum turbocharger oil outlet fitting.
1 - Turbocharger oil inlet fitting.
1 - Turbocharger intake air filter and clamp.
6 - Turbocharger exhaust housing bolts.
4 - Self tapping screws.
1 - Turbocharger oil outlet hose.
2 - Turbocharger oil outlet hose fittings.
1 - Turbocharger oil inlet hose assembly.
1 - Turbocharger compressor housing clamp.
1 - Turbocharger oil inlet fitting - turbocharger side.
1 - Pressure port tee.
1 - Oil tee extension.
1 - Bosch blow-off valve.
1 - 1” Blow off valve hose.
2 - 1” Blow off valve hose clamps.
4 - 3” Hose couplings.
1 - 3½” Hose coupling.
1 - 2½" to 3” transition hose coupling.
9 - 3” T-bolt clamps.
1 - 2½” T-bolt clamp.
2 - 3½” T-bolt clamps.
2 - 3” V-Band clamps.
1 - 3½” V-Band clamp.
2 - Reducers for cat-back connection.
6 - 3/8” Bolts.
6 - 3/8” Nuts.
6 - 3/8” Lock washers.
1 - Clutch cable.
1 - 3’’ band clamps.
2 - 2½’’ U-bolt exhaust clamps.
1 - 3½’’ Band clamp.
2 - 3” U-bolt exhaust clamps.

You will probably have to re-route your radiator hoses, but honestly as far as I know not too much has to be altered aside from afore mentioned items. I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but like I said I did not fabricate this setup, so I don't wanna misinform you. Good luck with whatever you do, and like I said keep an eye on ebay, another friend of mine bought a turbo setup for a 4cyl mustang for 150. He had to spend another 600 for injectors, etc but it has been running strong for quite some time. Also one last piece of advice, this thing will need tuned almost immediately. My car engine was not even turned over until a professional reset a/f ratios, timing, etc. Another friend of mine blew up his hatchback after putting on a S/C and racing around town without a tune.

again good luck