4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

kb or procharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

Default RE: kb or procharger

For what it is worth, here is my opinion.

I have a Vortech Mongoose kit from Modular Powerhouse. I even drove down from NY (they are in GA) to get it installed and tuned (along with some other work). I can't say enough about how good they are.

I also have long tube headers, full exhaust, 4.10 gears, methanol injection and all the other goodies that come with the Mongoose kit. The car is lightyears faster than when it was stock. But I never fully realized that the Vortech didn't make boost until 3,000 rpm, and that's with your foot to the floor (just installed a boost gauge). So when I am just tooling around town and shifting at 3,000 rpms, the blower is a non factor. Thank God for the 4.10's and the exhaust, otherwise that kind of driving would be pretty mundane. If I want to feel the Vortech power, I have to floor it and shift at a much higher rpm level. Not the ideal situation when you want to zip by someone in a 40 mph zone. I have Magna Flow Magnapacks. So not only does the car take off like a bat out of hell as the rpms climb above 3,000, it pretty much announces to every law enforcement official in 1/2 radious that I am on my way. I hate that.

I bought a 2006 STI back in March. It is stock except for a Stage 1 Cobb tune. My Mustang would rape it in a all out race, but for just driing around town I love the way the STI makes full and almost instant boost at low rpms. I can zip around have that "ballsy" feeling without redlining the car. That is what would appeal to me about a twin screw blower like the Kenne Bell (more usable horsepower and torque). I don't take my Mustang to the track. If I did, I might have a different opinion. But it is just a weekend toy for me and in order to get it to realize its full potential I have to slam that pedal to the floor. So unless I am on some deserted back road or on an on-ramp to the highway, I have a hard time doing that. I think the Kenne Bell would offer the daily driver more power for that fun type of driving.

Again, this is just my opinion. The Vortech (and Procharger) is a great blower. My car is pretty damn fast, but the fact that I have to be in all out tace mode to feel it bothers me sometimes.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

^ Great post. I know how you feel about the Magnapacks and cops. I have to throw it into neutral or push the clutch in whenever I see a cop. God forbid I get a red light or stop sign.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:54 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BicketyBam

For what it is worth, here is my opinion.

I have a Vortech Mongoose kit from Modular Powerhouse. I even drove down from NY (they are in GA) to get it installed and tuned (along with some other work). I can't say enough about how good they are.

I also have long tube headers, full exhaust, 4.10 gears, methanol injection and all the other goodies that come with the Mongoose kit. The car is lightyears faster than when it was stock. But I never fully realized that the Vortech didn't make boost until 3,000 rpm, and that's with your foot to the floor (just installed a boost gauge). So when I am just tooling around town and shifting at 3,000 rpms, the blower is a non factor. Thank God for the 4.10's and the exhaust, otherwise that kind of driving would be pretty mundane. If I want to feel the Vortech power, I have to floor it and shift at a much higher rpm level. Not the ideal situation when you want to zip by someone in a 40 mph zone. I have Magna Flow Magnapacks. So not only does the car take off like a bat out of hell as the rpms climb above 3,000, it pretty much announces to every law enforcement official in 1/2 radious that I am on my way. I hate that.

I bought a 2006 STI back in March. It is stock except for a Stage 1 Cobb tune. My Mustang would rape it in a all out race, but for just driing around town I love the way the STI makes full and almost instant boost at low rpms. I can zip around have that "ballsy" feeling without redlining the car. That is what would appeal to me about a twin screw blower like the Kenne Bell (more usable horsepower and torque). I don't take my Mustang to the track. If I did, I might have a different opinion. But it is just a weekend toy for me and in order to get it to realize its full potential I have to slam that pedal to the floor. So unless I am on some deserted back road or on an on-ramp to the highway, I have a hard time doing that. I think the Kenne Bell would offer the daily driver more power for that fun type of driving.

Again, this is just my opinion. The Vortech (and Procharger) is a great blower. My car is pretty damn fast, but the fact that I have to be in all out tace mode to feel it bothers me sometimes.

Good luck with whatever you do.
i feel teh same way. i love having my vortech, but would like to drive a kb car. it is nice to not have the boost until i want it, but it does take a bit to get it.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:55 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

I paid $1000 for install and a dyno tune (broke down to $800 install, $200 dyno).

My car is a daily driver so I went the ProCharger route. If it wasn't my DD I would have gone KB but not 1.7, definitely the 2.2/2.4.

As stated above, I went with the regular Magnaflows for that exact reason. I also went with a centri so as not to be screaming for attention (although the scream is cool) everywhere I went and still maintain somewhat do-able gas mileage. I know, I know, we don't drive Mustangs for MPG and we definitely don't S/C them for mileage but I still get about the same as I did before which is a plus in my book.

Screw the blowers and get a turbo kit.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:14 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

I like the idea of just being a sleeper and not having that badass whining sound, I mean I think its cool but not what I'm looking for. I'm going with Procharger so I can be a sleeper
Old 08-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Prochargers scream at idle. Theres no sleeping to be done unless your rolling. Vortechs are the quietest I think, in all vortech videos I can't hear them what so ever...to be honest I'd like to hear the nice BOV/BV action goin on.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:20 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

I don;t worry about the cops pulling me over for loud exhaust. My car passed inspection and there is nothing illegal about it. My concern is that the loud exhaust will make a cop look up from his newspaper and see me hauling *** down the street.

Gas miliage is a non issue. By the way, my STI gets awful gas mileage. Who would haver thought a 4 banger would get not better than 18 mpg (the way I drive).

I also agree about the 2.2/2.4 over the 1.7, but not with the daily driver favoring the ProCharger. Maybe because of gas reasons? I'd rather have the KB on a daily driver and a centri on a track car.

Look at my dyno sheet. See where all the hp kicks in? That's my main complaint, if you can call it that.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:21 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wes ley n the G T

I like the idea of just being a sleeper and not having that badass whining sound, I mean I think its cool but not what I'm looking for. I'm going with Procharger so I can be a sleeper
yeah, it is going to whistle big time at idle. I have had people the last two days ask if i had a charger, some people just dont know what it is. you want sleeper? go with the gas.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
BicketyBam
5th Gear Member

There is no hiding the fact that I have a s/c. With the 3.125 pulley, it whistles pretty loud at idle. I would imagine the KB would be much quieter at idle.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

I mean driving around regularly guys wow lol. I know a guy with a Procharger on his 01 GT and you cant hear **** when hes driving around on the street only when hes racing. But by the time I'm at WOT in a race, who cares if they know I have one because at that point they will be behind me. I know for a fact that screws and roots whistle pretty damn loud just driving around. My girlfriend's cousin has an 03 and I followed him to the track once and just taking off easy from redlights I heard his charger whistling.

Quick Reply: kb or procharger