4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

kb or procharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 05:02 AM
armymanhua
1st Gear Member

Default kb or procharger

well I have made the decision to get a loan and get my s/c. I am debating which one I should get. I was told by a few technicians out here in hawaii that for my car.. i would be much more pleased with a procharger then a kb. He was sayin that kb has low end power, but once you get high in the rpms.. procharger takes over. they are about the same price. 3800 bucks for the kit. I wonder how much it will cost to install.. what has been your guys' #'s for installing. let me know on what ya'll think on the pro or kb. and prices for installion..thanks.

ps. he said i would run close to 400 rwhp with pro.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:16 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Default RE: kb or procharger

You'd see BIG power gains with either one. But personally, I'd go with the Kenne Bell.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:16 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

both are great superchargers but different designs. do you have gears yet? are you planning on eventually forging your shortblock and running more boost? the KB will have more low end power for sure, the procharger will still get you decent MPG on the freeway
Old 08-15-2006, 05:35 AM
armymanhua
1st Gear Member

as far as forging the block, I think I'm going to just keep it stock. I am only going to run about 8psi. That will be ok for stock 2V. I will get gears, I dont know if i should get 4:10 or 3:73. I'm not sure.... but im still curious on whether or not to get the kb, or procharger... sucks...
Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

$3,800 for a KB? Sounds too low to me..

If I were you I'd go w/ the Procharger because you know your getting an intercooler.. That KB you listed probably doesn't come w/ an intercooler.. Thus, you have a better chance of detitation.. With that KB your going to have to worry about making sure you keep about 100 octaine to be on the safe side..

They both have their ups and downs.. I think KBs are over priced.. You'll get a load of HP by going w/ the Procharger and spend less money..
Old 08-15-2006, 07:15 AM
armymanhua
1st Gear Member

which procharger should i go with... the stage II.. or H.O. stage two is to much horsepower for my stock internals I think.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:20 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The KB you are looking at has to be the non intercooled 5-6 PSI 1.7L style. I definatly would not go with this blower compared to any of the big brands of centrifugal (vortech/procharger/paxton).

On the stock bottom end I would definatly look at either vortech or procharger. I am currently making right at 415 whp with a non intercooled vortech and my other mods.

Remeber that the most important thing is the tune. If nobody around you can tune the car correctly (Re: has done it before, never be the first one) you will need to buy a kit that comes with a tune you can trust. If this is the case, I definatly recommend modular power house. They were able to tune my car to ten tenths without ever seeing it (on the first try acutally).

The website is: www.modularpowerhouse.com

Look at the mongoose kits, best bang for your buck with a awsome tune you can buy, and the kit is totally complete.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 AM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

go with the KB you will NOT be dissapointed. Go to ModularPowerhouse.com and look at thier mongoose kits. Get a SCT Xcal tuner and TIm can send you his tune for your car. He has never lost an engine.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I was told by a few technicians out here in hawaii that for my car.. i would be much more pleased with a procharger then a kb. He was sayin that kb has low end power, but once you get high in the rpms.. procharger takes over.
This tech has probably never been in a screw car. If he had, then his idea of the car's top end would change. He just described a roots powerband, not a screw. Get screwed, just make sure you get a heat exchanger with it.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:19 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

There you go, you got the final verdict from birdieman

A KB can be found for $3800 new, but that is not intercooled, add the average $1000 for it to be cooled. The Procharger may give you a tiny bit more power at the very top, but with the KB you'll have more power through the rest of your RPM range, thus making it more fun to drive on the street. You don't spend all your time driving on the street at redline, do you?

Quick Reply: kb or procharger