4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cams and nitrous???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 04:50 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default Cams and nitrous???

Future plans for the 2000 GT include a 75-100 shot of N20 pretty soon, and in the long run (perhaps next summer) a set of cams.

The question is, does anybody make a cam that gives you significant gains, while still allowing you to run nitrous, but not specifically a nitrous cam? I have heard that cams that are built for N20 run like **** when your not spraying. This is definatly a street car, although not a daily driver. And i still need to be able to drive a few hours in a row, as I dont want to be trailering my car everywhere.

In other words, it needs to be extremely streetable. Is this asking too much??

BTW, on top of all this, where can you get a good N20 Kit online? I cant seem to find a good website. All of the ones I have ordered from before dont offer compelete kits.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:18 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Cams and nitrous???

Well the PI heads on our cars flow so well it, the cams really don't add alot as most people see with other cars. 5.0 and SF just did a Compcam swap into a 99+ Gt and got 25hp at the wheels. The car was still streetable and had an aggressive tone.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:48 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

VT stage 1 cams. They were worth 33 rwhp on a mildly modded (with less mods than yours) GT and they have a great sounding idle, doesn't lose low end torque much at all (about the same powerband as the stockers below 3000 rpm) and picked up 50+ hp over the stocker at 6k rpm!!!!!!!!

Why go nitrous when you could get almost that much in gains with a set of cams compared to a small shot of nitrous? Also, this is a split duration and lift cam - complimenting the exhaust side, so it would work with a nitrous shot better than the stocker. You can re-use your stock valve springs if necessary (but you shouldnt rev as high though to be safe - this cam is good until 6500 rpm). May need a tune after though.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:41 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

VT stage 1 cams. They were worth 33 rwhp on a mildly modded (with less mods than yours) GT and they have a great sounding idle, doesn't lose low end torque much at all (about the same powerband as the stockers below 3000 rpm) and picked up 50+ hp over the stocker at 6k rpm!!!!!!!!

Why go nitrous when you could get almost that much in gains with a set of cams compared to a small shot of nitrous? Also, this is a split duration and lift cam - complimenting the exhaust side, so it would work with a nitrous shot better than the stocker. You can re-use your stock valve springs if necessary (but you shouldnt rev as high though to be safe - this cam is good until 6500 rpm). May need a tune after though.
Two reasons I would rather go nitrous first:

1. It is MUCH easyer to install and tune.

2. There are few if any performance shops around that will help with a cam install, aka a tune and questions if I have problems.

3. N20 is going to end up around the same cost (700-800) but net about 100 Horsepower compared to 50.

Basically with the 100 shot I should be putting out somewhere close to 400 Fly Wheel HP. Thats pretty impressive for bolt ons and a shot of juice. The cams are just plans down the road to get a little more out of her.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:54 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

But I would rather have power all the time not just when I push this little button and slam on the gas.

Nitrous does have it's uses. I am usually unimpressed with a car that sprays and even less when they say it makes 400rwhp.......when i spray. If you use nitrous to cool your intake charge from you s/c or turbo now that is different.

All in all it is just a can of spinage and will eventually run out and need to be filled. The price of filling the bottle will eventully cost more than putting cams and stuff on the car.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:55 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverGTV8

But I would rather have power all the time not just when I push this little button and slam on the gas.

Nitrous does have it's uses. I am usually unimpressed with a car that sprays and even less when they say it makes 400rwhp.......when i spray. If you use nitrous to cool your intake charge from you s/c or turbo now that is different.

All in all it is just a can of spinage and will eventually run out and need to be filled. The price of filling the bottle will eventully cost more than putting cams and stuff on the car.
What you fail to mention is that it also doesn't add strain to the engine componets all of the time.

I will argue with you day in and day out that a N20 GT will smoke a cammed GT. You simply cannot make an additional 100 HP with cams on a N/A GT. (well and be streetable). No matter what you do, unless you add some sort of FI to a 4.6 GT it isnt going to keep up with a N20 car, unless you know of some super mean setup I have never heard about.

Its all about the $. As I have said before, if all I had to spend money on was my car it would have a supercharger and alot else done to it already. However I have several other hobbys, (rebuilding a house, home audio/video, computers, etc) and when you think about it 3 grand is pretty excessive to spend on a car, espcially in one big chunk.

I seriously don't understand the bias against N20 alot of people have. Its like "Well you spent thousands less than me, and our cars are equally fast. Im pissed because of that".

The only real difference between N20 and a blower is that one has to be refilled about once every 10 uses, and one doesnt.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:48 AM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Two reasons I would rather go nitrous first:

1. It is MUCH easyer to install and tune.

GOOD LUCK!!!

3. N20 is going to end up around the same cost (700-800) but net about 100 Horsepower compared to 50.

eventually you will end up paying more because you have to keep filling up the bottle.

Basically with the 100 shot I should be putting out somewhere close to 400 Fly Wheel HP. Thats pretty impressive for bolt ons and a shot of juice. The cams are just plans down the road to get a little more out of her.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:53 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

I never said that a cammed GT can beat a N2O GT, well by the 11th run it could. Nitrous just doesn't do it for me.

The bias comes from it's cheap horsepower and requires little to no work to get the car to run. Where does the pride come from if it takes no effort to do? Somepeople would rather spend hours trying to get the car to run right instead of a couple of minutes for a few wide open runs.

I don't care about the strain on the motor caused by other parts, that's all part of making power. Nitrous can be even more detremential (sorry sp) when something goes wrong compared to other parts. Wait until the car loses a solinoid and goes lean and see what happens, watch what happens when you bottle pressure is to low. All not good stuff and can lead to the motor go BOOM in a hurry!

I would and perhaps many others like having the power all the time, on demand, part throttle or full. I would take a cammed GT over a N2O GT anyday. As I said before I am unimpressed with cars that spray.

People have there preferences and opinons, that's mine.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 AM
WHT00GT
3rd Gear Member

we can test this statement that a cammed gt can't beat a n20 gt.?.?.?.? you hook up the babies milk and i will put in my suspension... we can go as many times as you want or can.

i am not being a D head when i post this, don't take it the wrong way please...
Old 06-16-2004, 01:16 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Jeez what a D-head@@@|@@@

Lolz kidding - anyways I feel the same way as WHT, I don't agree that nitrous is cheating - but I would rather have 50hp all the time vs 100 hp with the button push. But if timeslips all you want and money is a concern (for a tune) the do what feels right for you

Quick Reply: Cams and nitrous???