4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A slight problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

Default A slight problem

Hi, about a month ago I got an 01 mustang bullitt, I absolutely love the car, BUT, like all used cars i have encountered, I have come across a couple of problems, first off, intermidently it will have trouble starting, I will crank for a few seconds, nothing, and repeat, 3rd time is always a charm, I was thinking the injectors were dirty, but using stp full injector cleaner, it really didnt do anything. Now the odd thing is, it won't do this all the time, wont matter whether or not the engine is warm or cold, it will still do it, so I am thinking a tune up may do the trick, but I am looking for some advice.

Second, the clutch, I dont know if anyone else has this problem, but when not giving any gas while putting it into gear or shifting, the thing chatters, going into second gear and just putting the clutch down, it will make a chattering noise, also it is very loud when shift for 1-2-3, I dunno how to describe it typing it but it makes a CAH kind of noise. It also has a sort of a hitch onece you are half way into gear, any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:47 AM
ousooner28
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A slight problem

well with the starting problem mine is doing somewhat the same think
someone told me to change out sparkplugs and wires
Old 08-16-2006, 01:48 AM
armymanhua
1st Gear Member

whats the difference between the bullit and stock?? i have an 01 also and it looks like just urs.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: armymanhua

whats the difference between the bullit and stock?? i have an 01 also and it looks like just urs.
The bullit has a ford racing catback exauhst, dual 57mm throttle body, more retro interior with racing styled seats, better sound system, and a tokico valved suspension that lowered 3/4in. how could i forget the red powder coated brake calipers, and 13"rotors, it also has some kind of pulley upgrade, Im not sure if they are UD or what, bit they are different. only 5600 of them were produced.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:58 AM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

mine sometimes has trouble starting. only happens once in a blue moon
Old 08-16-2006, 01:58 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ousooner28

well with the starting problem mine is doing somewhat the same think
someone told me to change out sparkplugs and wires
Just a note:

You don't have wires.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

anyone?
Old 08-16-2006, 02:41 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Have you had the 'puter checked for any codes yet? Probabley not. That's cool, not everyone has code readers.

That is where I would start though.

As far as the tranny probs', your TR3650 5-speed isn't really known for it's smoothness in shifting. Basically, if it isn't grinding, it's fine.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:31 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

Ok, well shouldnt need to check for any trouble codes, check engine light isnt on, thanks for the advice, anything on the clutch?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:52 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BullittJim

Ok, well shouldnt need to check for any trouble codes, check engine light isnt on, thanks for the advice, anything on the clutch?

The CEL doesn't necessarily come on when there is something wrong. I had a guy come in the other day with low fuel pressure caused by a faulty pump that didn't trigger the CEL. After running a check on the 'puter and some old school diagnostics, the problem was found.

As far as the clutch goes, without hearing what you are hearing, I can't say for sure. This might help you;
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf40459.htm

Quick Reply: A slight problem