4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Compression test?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:52 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Compression test?

George,

Sounds like you've done this a time or 2...

JT
Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

yup! on more cars than one!

I tested mine and i got good compression, but i'm still blowing oil through my valve guide seals... ::sigh::

I've also tested a ton of engines at school, and once you do a few it's all the same process just different amounts of cylinders and different PSI specifications
Old 08-17-2006, 12:16 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

I tested mine and i got good compression, but i'm still blowing oil through my valve guide seals... ::sigh::

I've also tested a ton of engines at school, and once you do a few it's all the same process just different amounts of cylinders and different PSI specifications
That is what I think my problem is thats why Im doing the test to narrow it down. I hope thats what it is atleast. Ill find out in a few weeks when I get home and do the test.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:21 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

DO NOT check an aluminum headed car with the engine at full operating temp. Youre not even supposed to change the plugs when its hot. It can warp the head.
As for the procedure 1. disable ignition, 2. Remove plug 3. screw in compression tester (hand tight, it has an o-ring to seal it) 4. crank over the engine, make sure teh needle bounces 5 times, 5. record your reading.
On cast iron headed cars its ok to test warm.
-P.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:11 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

That is what I think my problem is thats why Im doing the test to narrow it down. I hope thats what it is atleast. Ill find out in a few weeks when I get home and do the test.

Do you have any smoke? If so, when does it smoke?

Mine smokes at startup, and after idling... in both cases the second I tap the gas it blows 2 blue puffs. Under cruising, accel, etc, no smoke. Just on startup and after idling. 110% valve seals
Old 08-17-2006, 01:30 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I smoke at start up and under hard acceleration. Small amounts of smoke at idel. It was burning oil so bad that in 4 days (around 600 miles) it went through 4qts of oil. The car sat for 8 months and is now sitting again waiting for me to get back.

EDIT: when it first started after 8 months it just about filled the garage with smoke.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:33 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Sounds like your engine could just need a complete overhaul...

Also, are you sure it's not leaking oil from somewhere?? 4qts in just as many days means that you're not only blowing oil past rings and valve seals, you're also passing it through some other source...

JT
Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

what year car? how many miles?

Man I think you just need a fresh motor....

I'm gonna get me a used PI motor, they can be had for $1500 or less

then I'm buildin the sh** outta the old one

but yeah that much smoke all the time, your engine is tireeeeeeeed, more tired than mine lol
Old 08-17-2006, 01:39 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Its an 04 with 22K miles. I hope its not the shortblock but at least then my wife will let me do what i want to.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:40 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

really... well you must really have that thing thumping the horses out dude... I dunno how to make an engine do that that quickly.... just answer me this, are any of your mods enough to completely void a warranty? maybe you can get the engine replaced free

Quick Reply: Compression test?