4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Does anyone not use there clutch when shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default Does anyone not use there clutch when shifting?

I have a friend who is big into drag racing. He says I will get better times if I powershift. Meaning shift at full throttle and down use the clutch. I am affraid to do this because I dont need to break my clutch or transmission.

He drives a 1500 chevy 5 speed and I drove with him and he drives around town not using the clutch. But I drove his car and it feels sloppy and light. I dont know... Does anyone else not use the clutch when you drag race? Any troubles with the tremec 3650 when you do?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:53 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Does anyone not use there clutch when shifting?

ORIGINAL: Aixtreme89

I have a friend who is big into drag racing. He says I will get better times if I powershift. Meaning shift at full throttle and down use the clutch. I am affraid to do this because I dont need to break my clutch or transmission.

He drives a 1500 chevy 5 speed and I drove with him and he drives around town not using the clutch. But I drove his car and it feels sloppy and light. I dont know... Does anyone else not use the clutch when you drag race? Any troubles with the tremec 3650 when you do?
do you mean dont use the clutch. I was reading about this on another site, but people's atrocious typing seem to creep up on the words that are most critical. [&:] and i couldnt figure out what they were saying either. So is power shifting just leaving your foot to the floor and using the clutch or not?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:55 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Well I just got my T-45 equipped GT back from the trans shop yesterday. In fact right now I have the broken shift arm sitting on my desk. I have tried it a few times. Will never try again. Our gears don't like it and tend to grind real bad. I will take it out of gear without using the clutch but never put it back in without the clutch. You will have to get new Synchro assemblies which are not cheap. Original quote was $2200 but I talked him down to $1750 cause I know the guy and have for years.

My recommendation is: DON'T DO IT. Our trans's have aluminum parts where old trucks have steel parts.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I got this off a web site. But he says dont use the clutch, like I mean his left foot stays on the dead peddle the whole time he shifts.

How to Powershift
The Power Shift Shuffle goes something like this- the gas pedal goes to the floor and stays there- never lift! Preload the stick by pulling on it before you reach your shift point. At the pivotal moment simultaneously KICK the clutch pedal and slam the stick into the next gear. Time it right and you will see the rpms climb 200 to 500 rpm between gears and feel a strong surge as the next gear engages. I started power shifting only the 3 to 4 shift my last track day of 2001. It is the easiest shift, straight back, with time to prepare mentally while 3rd winds out. I was able to knock off a pair of 13.50 runs that day and go home grinning from ear to ear. It was time to go to the next level and see if I could actually improve on those mid-13’s.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:01 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

I can shift without using the clutch, you just need to know the right rpms each gear needs when you try putting it in the next gear without using the clutch. I dont do it that much but sometimes I just dont feel like using my leg after a workout at the gym.

powershifting is just holding down the gas but using the clutch, wide open throttle shifting.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

around town i sometimes dont use the clutch.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:04 PM
JonBeast

When I powershift I put the gas to the floor, and keep it there, then slam the clutch in, shift and pop the clutch out. Its a REALLY fast movement or you are going to fck something up. I rarely do it because its hard on your clutch and tranny, but it is a much harder shift.

In daily driving, I usually shift without using the clutch. I mainly pull it out of gear without the clutch, but it takes a while to slide through the synchros to go back into gear, so I normally put it into gear with the clutch.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JonBeast

When I powershift I put the gas to the floor, and keep it there, then slam the clutch in, shift and pop the clutch out. Its a REALLY fast movement or you are going to fck something up. I rarely do it because its hard on your clutch and tranny, but it is a much harder shift.

In daily driving, I usually shift without using the clutch. I mainly pull it out of gear without the clutch, but it takes a while to slide through the synchros to go back into gear, so I normally put it into gear with the clutch.
I have pulled it out of gear without the clutch. I dont think that hurts anything, but I have never tired putting it back in without the clutch. My friend says like someone else says. You have to match up the rpms right.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:12 PM
JonBeast

I have pulled it out of gear without the clutch. I dont think that hurts anything, but I have never tired putting it back in without the clutch. My friend says like someone else says. You have to match up the rpms right.
Its very weird....all you do it pull it out of gear...and then push it up against the next gear...and once it hits a certain rpm, it will fall right through. For me, the rpms are pretty low when it falls in, so it takes a long time to shift without the clutch because I have to wait for the rpms to drop for it to fall in. Sometimes 4th gear spits back at me....I don't know, I don't put it in gears without the clutch very often.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:13 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

you gatta match up the revs within a hundred or two, or it will grind, usually just rest the stick on the gate to the next grear and it will go right in when it is at the right rpm.

Quick Reply: Does anyone not use there clutch when shifting?