4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED HELP WILL PAY!

Old 08-21-2006, 03:13 PM
PappaSmurffz

Default NEED HELP WILL PAY!

My mustangs cluch is goin out, just got a new one but i cant remove the trans! If you have any tips on how to remover the drive trane i would appreciate it, i live in the SF bay area so anyone that can hit me up!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:12 AM
BlOwNsNaKe
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: NEED HELP WILL PAY!

if you have headers they may be wrapped around your tranny and you will have to drop your k-member and motor to get to it. I had that problem when i was changing my clutch in my 2000 GT
Old 10-24-2006, 02:45 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Lift the car a lot, and sweat, a lot

Mike
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 AM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

get yourself a haynes manual, a couple cases of beer, and a couple of buddies. Your gonna need extensions of various lentghs, and I highly reccommend that you get some good mechanics gloves. Have patience with the top transmission bolts and with the top starter bolt. Take it one step at a time and if you start getting frustrated, relax and have a beer.

disconnect battery
jack up the car "make sure you have some quality jackstands that can go pretty high up
remove the mid-pipe and cat-back (dont forget to unplug the o2 sensor connections and remember where they go)
drain the tranny (this will save you a big mess)
remove the driveshaft
pull off the shifter bezel and remove at least the shift lever, if not the shifter itself
drain the tranny (trust me, it saves a huge mess)
remove the remaining electrical connections that you can still see plugged in (speedo sensor, reverse light, etc)
disconnect the clutch cable
remove the starter (this take time and patience. you will bust your knuckles up real bad, prob drop some s*** on your head, cuss alot, and drink alot of beers in the process. this was my experience with the top starter bolt at least)
remove the nuts holding the tranny mount to the crossmember and slide a jack under the transmission and take the pressure off of the crossmember
remove the crossmember
get out all the bolts from the bellhousing that you can reach, then slowly lower the jack. some of the bolts are a pain, have extensions and swivelies and you will be ok
before you get the last bolt out of the top, make sure you have a transmission jack or 2 or 3 buddies helping you, your transmission is heavy

thats what i can recollect from when i did mine 6 months ago. whenever you get the tranny off, be sure the kit came with a new t/o bearing, and if it didnt, get one. replace the rear main seal and have the flywheel resurfaced
Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 AM
BmX
1st Gear Member

^^ Dont forgot to order acouple of pizzas for the buddies also!