4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2V MODS & HP GAINS

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default 2V MODS & HP GAINS

Everyday it's much of the same questions and different opinions. a 2v Mustang will run stock around 14.5 @ 95 MPH. A 2v 4.6 will NOT become a really quick car with the common bolt ons! Here's what I have learned:
1. Exhaust-If you do the X/H pipe and a catback expect about 10 WHP.
2. CAI- maybe 5 WHP with something like the JLT true cold air system(yeah it's made of polyvinylcloride), still superb quality!
3. UDP's- 5 WHP
4. 75mm TB/C&L plenum-7 WHP
5. A tuner(go with the SCT and someplace like Brenspeed who gives each car a custom tune with the purchase) 15 WHP, maybe a bit more if you have done the mods listed above as the combination is what makes power.
6. Of course gears. .1-.4 depending on the tires you use and whether you have a stick and can drive or an automatic with crisper shifts but preferably a higher stall converter-BETTER TIRES!
This amounts to about 40 WHP and the time the gears will cut off your 1/4 time. This means you can get your 2v to go from mid 14's at 95 mph to mid to high 13's at possibly 105mph if you stick and drive well. It will cost you a bit over $2000. plus whatever suspension mods you do as listed by code3GT in a sticky at the beginning of this 4.6 forum. Traction is paramount for good times as the gears and torque WILL spin even 315's easily and cost you a lot of time.
You deceide if it's worth it or if you should save for a Mach 1 or Cobra, 3v or a SC for your 2v. 12's aren't going to happen with a 2v and the traditional bolt ons. High 13's on street tires is still a good time but you will not be the quickest car around town unless you live in a small town! I enjoy my Mustang very much and I have had an 11 sec street car before this-Turbo talon with AWD. That car took a lot of time every day and with the Mustang I only need to open the hood every 2 weeks to check the fluid levels instead of everyday! Enjoy! mark
Old 08-24-2006, 12:25 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 2V MODS & HP GAINS

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. With a full bolt-on car, the correct suspension upgrades and the right amount of weight reduction. You will get into the 12's. There are people that have done it.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Depending on weather & your track, a stock 99+ GT has no excuse to trap under 98-99MPH 100% bone stock, it's all in the driver & how hard they are willing to drive it.

With some suspension work, full bolt-ons minus cams/supercharger/nitrous, it's a car that's capable of dipping into 12's without dropping weight, it's just going to take someone who is willing to powershift.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:48 PM
MustangGT99
2nd Gear Member

yea dude i trapped 98.88 when my 99gt was stock so you just have to push your car harder
Old 08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
dothack
2nd Gear Member

what about nitro? a cheap dry nitro of 350 bucks with 75 or 100 shot for a stock 4.6 2v engine will surely give u serious power..now with those mods mention above..now you r talking AND that is without loosing driveability if you drive to work/school AND fuel mileage aint affected that much
Old 08-24-2006, 01:45 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgtI'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. With a full bolt-on car, the correct suspension upgrades and the right amount of weight reduction. You will get into the 12's. There are people that have done it.
GOOD! Thats what forums are all about. People exchanging information and ideas. My car is a convertible and a street car so any suspension mods must either be neutral or enhance street handling. Weight reduction? I am keeping my AC and PW's and wish I had cruise but I don't. I am talking a full interior car but if you know of ways to reduce the weight and keep the car street comfortable please share them.
As for bolt ons I do not consider heads and cams to be bolt ons nor $1400. intakes. I will do a 75mm TB/C&L plenum someday and probably change my Predator for an SCT and Brenspeed tune. Long tube headers are not in my plan right now. It would depend on fit and how long it really takes for an experienced mechanic to install them. I have seen BBK's for around $350. but not sure if they were coated. Installation is what 5 hours, 8 hours? I have to consider cost somewhere. So I might consider a set of long tubes once I get a bit more info on them.
So, what can I do besides what I listed? My mods are in my sig and UDP's and a Steeda timing adjuster are going on today. I will first see if the JLT CAI added anything so guys will know if they actually add something worthwhile. Lets keep this going as the more info I can get the better! Thanks, Mark
Old 08-24-2006, 01:47 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

high 13's with all the bolt ons......im at high 13's now with my mods on not that great street tires. if i had even some slight suspension work and drag radials it woul help my 13.9 on a 2.14 60' with me spinning hitting 2nd and sometimes 3rd. and i dont even have a tune,udps, plenum,tb, gears or a true cai, just the k&n filter. im thinkin ur hp numbers might sound a bit high and ur drag numbers are off imo
Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

^^^ LMAO @ your sig hahaha
Old 08-24-2006, 01:52 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRADepending on weather & your track, a stock 99+ GT has no excuse to trap under 98-99MPH 100% bone stock, it's all in the driver & how hard they are willing to drive it.With some suspension work, full bolt-ons minus cams/supercharger/nitrous, it's a car that's capable of dipping into 12's without dropping weight, it's just going to take someone who is willing to powershift.
Dan you have a supercharged car rated at 390HP and 390lbs./ft. of torque and are mid 12's. Shifting will get a 2v into the 12's. Heck you should be in the 11's with that thinking! mark
Old 08-24-2006, 01:59 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

damnit so now i hafta get in the 12's with just bolt on's eh.... seems like the next mustang challenge lol
i hope they invent a real kick *** bolt on soon.... do turbonators count? haha

Quick Reply: 2V MODS & HP GAINS