4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:03 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger question

ORIGINAL: joshafmil

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

I'd say F/I your car to about 400hp. If you want more, build it before it blows. In the long run. Sell what you have and pick up a Cobra if you want 600+ hp.
the whole point to me doing this is to have a custom car i can learn with and take pride in. i rather not just say... **** it, and buy a car better, thats already made up
I understand that. Really I do. But logic and reason has to step forward every now and then and slap you up side the head.

If you have unlimited funds swap in the dohc 4.6 in your GT. After you spend countless hours and thousands of dollars doing that, a stock Cobra will still be better engineered and equipped than a GT with a 4V engine dumped in it.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:06 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

well lets say i went out and got the forged internals and super for my car. 1500 for the internals, 5000 for the super. with that being said, would i be able to get around 600rwhp?

yes i would have to put money into the rest of the car, but i can just increase the psi as i build up the car. im just wondering if keeping the 2v heads are worth it in the end
First of all the shortblock is alot more money. I know there are the bottom end kits for 1500 bucks, but they are way way cheaper for a reason. Not only are there parts missing that you will need, but it is supposed to be virutally impossible to take your stock shortblock and put new internals in and have it last.

I dunno why this is though really. I have seen the same kits you have (1500~) but there must be either alot more parts you have to buy, or its just the extreme difficulty of getting it all to work. I talked to a guy with a 5.1L stroker that said he went thru 2 sets of rotating assemblys before he got it right.

If you choose your combo correctly, you can make between 550 and 600 to the tire with just a shortblock, a set of camshafts, and a blower (with a full exhaust and whatever intake boltons you need based on your blower type).

If you don't want to make any more than this you don't need 4v heads. The 4v heads only really matter if you are aiming at about 650+ to the tire. Anything before that in a FI applicatoin and you are simply wasting money.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:32 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

well lets say i went out and got the forged internals and super for my car. 1500 for the internals, 5000 for the super. with that being said, would i be able to get around 600rwhp?

yes i would have to put money into the rest of the car, but i can just increase the psi as i build up the car. im just wondering if keeping the 2v heads are worth it in the end
First of all the shortblock is alot more money. I know there are the bottom end kits for 1500 bucks, but they are way way cheaper for a reason. Not only are there parts missing that you will need, but it is supposed to be virutally impossible to take your stock shortblock and put new internals in and have it last.

I dunno why this is though really. I have seen the same kits you have (1500~) but there must be either alot more parts you have to buy, or its just the extreme difficulty of getting it all to work. I talked to a guy with a 5.1L stroker that said he went thru 2 sets of rotating assemblys before he got it right.

If you choose your combo correctly, you can make between 550 and 600 to the tire with just a shortblock, a set of camshafts, and a blower (with a full exhaust and whatever intake boltons you need based on your blower type).

If you don't want to make any more than this you don't need 4v heads. The 4v heads only really matter if you are aiming at about 650+ to the tire. Anything before that in a FI applicatoin and you are simply wasting money.
hmm thanx for the help man... ill look into this
Old 08-27-2006, 11:10 PM
mp23

With a KB and 14 pounds of boost you are looking at about 520 rwhp. I have it on my 2 valve at 9psi and I like it. 600 rwhp is a lot to ask for a 2v but you can definately do over 500.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:17 PM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

well for now, i think im just going to buy all the parts for my car so it can take high hp/tq output. then once its paid off, ill buy a 4v engine from vt racing... and once thats in, ill get a kb for it

or ill buy a nice shortblock for my 2v
Old 08-28-2006, 12:04 AM
shuribob
1st Gear Member

One of the this months magazines features a 2v build up with Kenne Bell that puts out like 650rwhp. How much do you need??? I have a 97 Cobra with a Kenne Bell at 7lbs and pull 381rwhp thats good for low 12's at the strip on BFG drag radials. I still get almost 21mpg at 85mph with the cruise and air on. I took it from Illinois to Myrtle Beach (1000 miles each way) for Mustang Week and had a blast with no driveability problems. Saw several people wreck their rides because of too much power on the street and a few cars break because of the same issue. I don't know but my friends always tell me that the car runs great, wins at shows and can be driven daily.....leave well enough alone. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.........
Old 08-28-2006, 12:15 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shuribob

One of the this months magazines features a 2v build up with Kenne Bell that puts out like 650rwhp. How much do you need??? I have a 97 Cobra with a Kenne Bell at 7lbs and pull 381rwhp thats good for low 12's at the strip on BFG drag radials. I still get almost 21mpg at 85mph with the cruise and air on. I took it from Illinois to Myrtle Beach (1000 miles each way) for Mustang Week and had a blast with no driveability problems. Saw several people wreck their rides because of too much power on the street and a few cars break because of the same issue. I don't know but my friends always tell me that the car runs great, wins at shows and can be driven daily.....leave well enough alone. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.........

i read the article on that mustang... its pushing 20psi of boost it says... hahaha. thats alot for a GT...
Old 08-28-2006, 12:17 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

+1 this is a smart man right here. Honestly do you need 600+rwhp on a street car?? My suggestion is for you to go buy a new kb kit, put that on. Get all the bolt-ons get a good tune and then work on suspension. You can easily have an 11 sec car with under 400rwhp.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:26 AM
shuribob
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03sonicgt

+1 this is a smart man right here. Honestly do you need 600+rwhp on a street car?? My suggestion is for you to go buy a new kb kit, put that on. Get all the bolt-ons get a good tune and then work on suspension. You can easily have an 11 sec car with under 400rwhp.
Thanks brother. I have most of the bolt ons I need and I forgot to add the Kenny Brown stage 3 suspension......remember all the horsepower in the world means nothing without a good foundation. Actually my suspension mods were first, $2,300.00 worth, and they made a huge difference! My goal for this fall is to break into the 11's. Might happen, might not. Your right about the tune also....very important so the motor doesn't go BOOM! Another thing about the KB is that it fits under the stock hood and is quiet unlike the hairdryers. Perfect sleeper......The kit was perfect and KB has customer service beyond compare if you don't mind the wait to talk with someone. Once your on the line they will bend over backwards to help.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:33 AM
joshafmil
4th Gear Member

well theres a reason why i said ill put money into the support crap first.

to add, i want to make a car to take to the strip... i want to be able to continually expand the ability of it...

if im going to dump a ton of money into a car, the last thing i want is to have a limit in the long run. nothing would **** me off more then for me to have 10k+ into my car, and hit a wall.

Quick Reply: supercharger question