4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Winter Storage for the Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:59 AM
diverguy64

Default Winter Storage for the Mustang?

I know it's not really winter yet (soon enough here in the chilly north!) but I'm starting to think about what I'll need to do if I put the Mustang into some sort of indoor storage out of the snow and salt and assorted wintery crap. I've never "stored" a car before. Does anyone have any tips, like should I put it up on jack stands? Do you just turn the key off and walk away, or there some sort of oil treatment or stabilizer that I need to pour in if the car's gonna sit for five months? (It's got Mobil 1 synthetic in it).

Just curious. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Winter Storage for the Mustang?

Good thread. I'll be doing the same thing soon. I'm not positive but you may have to drain your gas tank. This was only one place I looked at so I'd check into what the rules are at a given location.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

Your car should start up perfectly fine if you just turn it off and let it sit. Clean it up, wax it, cover it, sit it.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:29 PM
doughboy4.6
3rd Gear Member

I take the wheels and tires off and put the car on jack stands so the tires dont dry rot, also go to the storage unit once in a while and start it.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:33 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Good thread +1000

Would it help much if I had the chance once every week to drive it around the block assuming the roads don't suck?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:54 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

Good thread +1000

Would it help much if I had the chance once every week to drive it around the block assuming the roads don't suck?
That'd be equivalent to not storing it at all... that's driving frequent enough to not need any special treatment. When storing mine, I just added fuel stabilizer and let it sit... sat for about a month and a half at the longest (guess I didn't need the fuel stabilizer) before a clear day came by and I took her out for a drive... was about once every week after that.

Drives that are long enough to get everything up to temperature are the best for it.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:00 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Alright, great info. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:00 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doughboy4.6

I take the wheels and tires off and put the car on jack stands so the tires dont dry rot, also go to the storage unit once in a while and start it.
+1 about puttin the car up on jack stands. Also, they make this stuff called sta-bil, its supposed to stabilize fuel on boats and what not so it doesnt go bad. Also, Id start the car about every 2 weeks and run it to full operating temp.
-p.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:30 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

sta-bil... as mentioned above.. yep

i put my car in storage for good.. as in, i drop the full coverage on it, get an okay from teh bank where i have my loan that if i have something like a 'storage' insurace, they wont mind..

so the car sits for about 4-5 months with no starting, no driving.

all i do is change the oil just before putting it away, make sure all my fluids are filled, full gas tank, add teh correct amount of stabil, slightly over inflate my tires (i put my DR's on some padding just for precaution), put some mothballs in the carbag, and zip her up and moan and graon for 4-5 months while i drive my winter driver...(then the last month is full of nothing but thoughts of my car and i become reeally worthless)[:-]
Old 08-28-2006, 01:39 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

If you are REALLY winter storing it meaning that it won't be touched for the entire 3-4 months of winter heres what I am doing with my Vette.

Wash, Clay, Wax - All that stuff

I don't take the tires off, but make sure you keep an eye on the pressure

Cover it

And I have a battery stabalizer, which you hook up to keep the battery running at peak so that it doesnt die on you thru the winter.

And the car is also started up once every 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage for the Mustang?