4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

car is acting like crap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:48 PM
jaystang98

Default car is acting like crap?

hey ive been trying to figure out what is wrong with my car for a while now, its kinda hard to explain so, it accelerates fine up to 1/4 throttle and anything after that there is no power and it like bucks pretty bad and now its getting worse.
can anybody help me, or give me any suggestions what the hell is wrong with my car????
thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 11:01 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: car is acting like crap?

it could be the TP sensor, fuel pump, fuel injectors, MAF.... any number of things.

This is one situation where unless you have the means to diagnose it, you may have to have it looked at by a dealer.

There are some EXPENSIVE nice scanners that monitor all these sensors and on the scanner they are so obvious which one is wrong.

What kinda car? miles? Have you done anything to it yet? May want to start with a tuneup
Old 08-28-2006, 11:25 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

i had exact same problem but no check engine light.......

coil packs

a shop can find out which one.... or you can buy one and keep swapping them around to you find the right cylinder

# 5 went then a month later # 6 went

one threw the check engine the other didnt... i have several post how my car was acting if you can search them and see if your having the same problem...... then you know its a coil pack

invest in new plugs... and check your boots...
Old 08-28-2006, 11:26 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

from his screen name I would belive he is NPI from the "98"

so I'd start with plugs and wires, and possibly coils
Old 08-28-2006, 11:45 PM
98YellohCobra
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

from his screen name I would belive he is NPI from the "98"

so I'd start with plugs and wires, and possibly coils
+111 when I had my 97 GT, I had the SAME EXACT problem and it was the spark plugs. Change your spark plugs and wires first, as it's the cheapest and I bet that will fix your problem! I called ford parts and got the OEM replacement part #, then went to 0'reilly and got the parts. It was a ton cheaper, and the parts were exactly the same. If I remember correctly, for the '97 GT 4.6 you should gap at .50 (though I would double check that to be sure).

Old 08-29-2006, 12:27 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

Yeah this wasn't on the mustang, but on my previous car I thought the tranny was goin bad because the car would buck in a certain RPM. I took it to a shop and they told me that the spark plug wires were...ahhh can't think of the word for it. Anyways they were leaking some voltage.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:29 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

the spark plug wires were probably arcing, or shorting out to the block or head somewhere
Old 08-29-2006, 12:30 AM
98YellohCobra
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: so1o2k3

Yeah this wasn't on the mustang, but on my previous car I thought the tranny was goin bad because the car would buck in a certain RPM. I took it to a shop and they told me that the spark plug wires were...ahhh can't think of the word for it. Anyways they were leaking some voltage.
They were probably "arcing". It's when electrical current from the wires will arc with a metal surface in the engine compartment (or possible the engine itself). It's not a good thing.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98YellohCobra

They were probably "arcing". It's when electrical current from the wires will arc with a metal surface in the engine compartment (or possible the engine itself). It's not a good thing.

dude I beat you by one minute. OWNED [8D][8D][8D]

seriously tho great minds think alike!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:32 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

ORIGINAL: 98YellohCobra

dude I beat you by one minute. OWNED [8D][8D][8D]

seriously tho great minds think alike!
Hahaha yeah! ARCING! Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: car is acting like crap?