4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

P.I. Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 PM
HpOoRwSeEr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: P.I. Conversion

i ask this because i posted earlier asking how much power id get out of a stock 98gt w/ aftermarket headers, exhaust, intake, pulleys. someone posted id be better of doing the P.I. conversion
Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

getting stock heads 99-04 heads is kind of stupid though, yeah you're making power but you should just go all the way and get high perf. heads because ppl w/ 99-04 heads will just get them n still be faster anyway.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Get some 99-04 heads... have them ported & polished while they're out... if you can hold out, put as much money into them as possible (within reason of course) before you put them on... so hopefully you'll never have to take them off to have work done on them.

What I think most people don't realize is there aren't any good 2v aftermarket heads. The ones that are around are just stock heads that have been reworked.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:08 PM
chilledfresh
2nd Gear Member

What exactly does a port and polish do? I'm still trying to brush up on my terminology here.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:10 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

P&P is taking the head and porting out the air passageways (making them larger). Obviously, larger passageways = more air flow = more power. Polishing has the same effect, smoothing out the walls of the passages helps air flow unrestricted, again giving you more air flow through the head, and coming out to more power. The weak link of the GT's are the heads!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:12 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

if i were u id go with full exhaust, udp's, and gears, and t/b plenum. then start workin with ur top end. have a basis to build on
Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: silverstang1996

getting stock heads 99-04 heads is kind of stupid though, yeah you're making power but you should just go all the way and get high perf. heads because ppl w/ 99-04 heads will just get them n still be faster anyway.
It's not stupid!!!! Come on now!!! Get whatever your budget will fit. You're talking $350 a piece for stock 99-04 heads WITH cams as apposed to $800 plus a piece for aftermarket heads and the additional money for the cams. Yea, it's nice to go that way but not everyone can afford it. Down the road you can always upgrade the cams.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:13 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

yeah if you really wanna go all out buy some 4v heads, of course you will have to change some stuff but i think it'd be worth it.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:14 PM
chilledfresh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

P&P is taking the head and porting out the air passageways (making them larger). Obviously, larger passageways = more air flow = more power. Polishing has the same effect, smoothing out the walls of the passages helps air flow unrestricted, again giving you more air flow through the head, and coming out to more power. The weak link of the GT's are the heads!
And for a stock GT, what kind of hp improvement will a P&P result in? Or does it just free up the airflow for other mods?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:16 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chilledfresh

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

And for a stock GT, what kind of hp improvement will a P&P result in? Or does it just free up the airflow for other mods?
A considerable amount... crunching numbers, give me a second

Quick Reply: P.I. Conversion