4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Different Burnout Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:36 AM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

Default Different Burnout Techniques

Im just a lil curious how u guy do burn outs with ur 5spd's, when i do a burn out, which is rare cuz i dont like paying out the *** for tires, i just turn my right foot side ways and hit the gas and brake at the same time. But i have seen some guys lanch the car then hit the brake real fast, and i tried that a couple times and it didnt work too well for me. Also wut gear do u start out in, ive never tried starting it in second to do it, but first gear is so short i usually redline
Old 09-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Cornbread01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Different Burnout Techniques

well for the price of good tires i wouldnt do it but whenever i do i dont the the stand still burn out i just peal off the line and most the time stays in same spot for a few seconds but thats enough for me sence my first set of tires only lasted me less than 6 months
Old 09-03-2006, 12:41 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

i do the foot sideways thing, but if im just playin around, ill light em up hit the brakes, and hit second, then really burn out.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:42 AM
blazer_4.3
4th Gear Member

Burnout Procedure Without a Line-lock

1) Put car Traction System-Off

2) Drive around the water.

3) Back into the damp area, not the wet area. Back up enough to get 3/4 or more of the tire tread damp. Don't spin the tires in the water. You just want to get most of the tread with a sheen of water.

4) Roll forward to the leading edge of the damp area. Start the burnout there. Do NOT roll so far as to put the rear wheels onto the heavy sticky rubber/VHT prepped area.

5) The car should start and finish the burnout with no more that a foot or two of forward movement.

6) Put the tranny in 2d gear. This will enable the tires to heat faster, because they’ll spin at a higher indicated mph. Since the tires are damp, they spin quite easily in 2d.

7) Drop the clutch, feed the throttle and immediately lightly apply the brakes with your left foot. The brakes are helpful for keeping the rear-end from walking sideways.

8) Bring the rpm to about 5000 and hold it there until the tires smoke well and start to drag down the rpm. At that point, back out of the throttle and release the brakes. You'll roar forward. The tires are heated.

9) It is helpful if you adjust the driver’s outside mirror to view the left rear wheel/smoke.

10) Warning, if you botch the burn-out, DON'T retry it with dry tires. Doing that will likely glaze the clutch...or…break an axle shaft.

11) Practice will help get synchronization of the foot movements.

You can practice in a level asphalt parking lot with water from a couple gallon jugs.Draw a couple lines with chalk to help establish an alignment guide. Pour out three or four gallons of water generally at the wheel points. Voila. You’ve got a pseudo water-box. An observer/spotter is a plus.

Don’t worry about brake wear. Four seconds on the brakes is like braking 60-10. You do that every time you drive the car.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:44 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i havnt done a breakstand yet, but if i did i would probably do the heal-toe technique.

if i want to show off which isnt often, i just rev to about 3.5k and drop the clutch and hold on. i try not to bang second but its hard not to [:@]
Old 09-03-2006, 01:44 AM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

hi just one ? i have an auto 02 gt and my friend keep saying that auto cannot do doughnuts is that true n if not what way not that i want to i just want to no for my knowledge
Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 AM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

i used to have an auto v6 camaro, and it would do them just fine, deff not as good as my mustang, but you just turn ur wheel all the way towards the direction u want to go and hit the gas
Old 09-03-2006, 01:54 AM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

alright so just gas all the way no brake or nothing cuz mustangs have a short turning ratio i think
Old 09-03-2006, 01:56 AM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

well, its just a matter of trying it, i wouldnd say floor it, just gas it until ur tires break loose
Old 09-03-2006, 01:58 AM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

the resistance of ur front wheels being turned all the way is like power braking, just make sure u have ur traction off

Quick Reply: Different Burnout Techniques