4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Please help me out!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 04:57 AM
04gtmatt
2nd Gear Member

Default Please help me out!!!

Whats up guys? Alright, im building a new short block for my 04gt. Im looking for around 650rwhp. Im going with ported heads from houston performance, big boy blower cams and a typhoon intake ported to heads and a novi 2000. The only thing im curious about is the short block. Im trying to save some cash(supporting mods needed). About how much do you think a machine shop will charge to assemable and ballance the block? I want to buy a rotatin assembaly instead of a short block since i have a block already. Some ball figures would be nice on macining. Or would it be better to buy a short block
Old 09-03-2006, 06:17 AM
doughboy4.6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help me out!!!

If you are not going to put in the crank rods and pistons yourself then buy a shortblock
Old 09-03-2006, 08:24 AM
03GTGreen
2nd Gear Member

I would guesstimate it would cost around 1500 to do all that. Is the block you have the stock or is it an aftermarket block. If you have the stock block, then I would say just get a brand new assembly from MMR, or VT cause it will be cheaper in the long run. For the price of a Crank, H-arms, and pistons you could pretty much buy a new shortblock so thats what I would do. Both MMR and VT sell 650hp shortblocks for like 2600 bucks I think, so try them.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:19 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

When it comes to modular shortblocks i always suggest buying one built by a good shop such as VT Engines. The tolerances are very tight and have to be perfect since the engine expands after warming up and needs to be set perfect when cold. You might save 200-300 doing it yourself but piece of mind is priceless. I started gathering parts to do mine myself and after months of research and seeing numerous guys who built their own have issues with main bearings i am sending all my stuff to Steen Racing...my personal project is even more difficult since i'm using a Teksid 4V aluminum block.