4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stock setup w/ a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:59 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default Stock setup w/ a supercharger

Hey ya'll. Well, in a nut shell I'm SERIOUSLY considering giving modular powerhouse a call today on the vortech mongoose.

Thing is...my stang is COMPLETELY stock. Seems like I'd be wasteing a WHOLE bunch of ponies by leaving the exhaust as it is.

Suggestions? Long tubes are out...too much of a pain. And also, seeing how I'm kind of dropping some serious coin on the blower...I'd like to keep the exhaust as CHEAP as possible. Don't need any fancy chrome tips or anything.

Also, with their mongoose I'd need to tell him my mods so he can custom burn the chip. (I think is how it works)
Old 09-05-2006, 10:02 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Stock setup w/ a supercharger

Also...what do I do about my gears??? & how much.

****...I think I've been bit.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Well, yes, indeed, a supercharger is an excellent purchase. The best thing to do with your exhaust is longtubes, especially with forced induction... but if LTs are out, don't waste your money on shorties. Just get a nice o/r pipe with a decent catback is about the best you're going to get without LTs. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND changing your mind on the LTs. If you're going to get a s/c, get 3.73s. Otherwise, get 4.10s.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

****IN A!!!

I don't think I've slept in a week...can't figure out what I want. Mongoose seems like a "safe" bet.

Bolt ons are out if you can but the S/C.

But less chance of something catastrophic w/ headers & cams.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

****IN A!!!

I don't think I've slept in a week...can't figure out what I want. Mongoose seems like a "safe" bet.

Bolt ons are out if you can but the S/C.

But less chance of something catastrophic w/ headers & cams.
S/c then bolt on =]

Also, make sure you get a good tune with the s/c and you'll not have any problems...
Old 09-05-2006, 11:13 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, $9,000 later...

No dude, that's the crazy part. The mongoose doens't need a tune. It comes pre tuned by this dude named Tim who has I guess tuned over 2000 mustangs. F'n crazy I know.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:21 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

If you have the cash for the blower I would go with that. You may not see the full potential of the blower with your current set up, but you can always add on later. Right now I have a full bolt on cammed 4.6 and honestly I'm pretty disappointed with my car. I'm only now looking to getting into boost. I wish I would have known I'd spend all this money just to hang with a stock T/A. I guess my point is I was in the same position you were and I decided to go the bolt on with cams route and I'm pretty sure I make the wrong choice. With these 2v cars it is really hard to make anything impressive with out going f/i. I would also strongly recommend the long tube headers especially with forced induction! If you are on the fence about if you're doing long tubes don't buy your mid pipe yet because if you get long tubes then you'll have to buy a long tube mid pipe.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:26 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikev08826

Yeah, $9,000 later...

No dude, that's the crazy part. The mongoose doens't need a tune. It comes pre tuned by this dude named Tim who has I guess tuned over 2000 mustangs. F'n crazy I know.

I don't understand the $9,000 comment....

At any rate, yes, I am aware of the mongoose kit, and know who Tim Barth is and am familiar with MPH. What I meant was, it's all in the tune. You said something about a s/c setup being catastrophic and I was simply meaning that with a good tune, a s/c is not harmful at all.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

s/c + full exhaust and 3.73's ftw!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

yea id def go the supercharger route. the mongoose kit by MPH seems to be a phenomenal kit...i have never heard of anyone complain about either the kit or the tune. Ive heard nothing but good things. a supercharger is almost definitely going to be the best bang for your buck. If you want to save some money...try waiting and looking around for a reasonably priced used kit. thats what i did. and now i can put the money i saved from buying a new kit into headers.

i cannot wait til this thing is on my car. its all gonna be happening over winter break i think...i seriously cannot wait. i think its gonna be worth every penny. im just a little worried about traction. and by a little...i mean a lot.

Quick Reply: Stock setup w/ a supercharger